La Purga, 1668. Historical fact or fiction?

I'm reading Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons" and find it incredibly interesting (though sometimes the writing is hokey). However, although I hear that Brown is well-researched in what he portrays as historical and scientific fact, sometimes I wonder. Is the event La Purga of 1668, when the Roman... show more I'm reading Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons" and find it incredibly interesting (though sometimes the writing is hokey). However, although I hear that Brown is well-researched in what he portrays as historical and scientific fact, sometimes I wonder.

Is the event La Purga of 1668, when the Roman Catholic Church supposedly branded and burned at the stake 4 Illuminati members true or not? And where can I find more information?

I Googled it, but nothing really came up....
Update: That's what I've read...
So, a follow up question, if you don't mind:
Why is Brown so adamant that the Illuminati started in Galileo's time, and that Galileo himself was a member?
Where does he get his information?
1 answer 1