HELP! My husband lost his Job on monday and My Dad is making it his "job" to help my husband find another one!?

We live in the o so wonderful state of Michigan and my Husband just lost his Job from GM on Monday.

It was a Great Job with Excellent Benefits..

Well now my Dad thinks it's his Job to "fix" everything.

He calls us leaving messages on our Phone "Dick Scott Kia is hiring, go fill out an Application".. He will tell my husband to fill out a Resume at Monster.com...

He will call us and tell us that we have to do "XYZ"...It's starting to be very annoying. I know he wants to help us..But it's very annoying!!

Another thing, My husband had a Job Interview today, and They said he may start next week. He had to go take a Physical, Get is Mechanic License re certified etc..soo all of that takes time.

But he is Hired.

But My husband does not want to say anything in till he actually starts working.

In the mean time, How do we get My father to back off.

Favorite Answer

Simple, talk to him. Tell him that your husband is an adult. Tell him that you appreciate his concern and his help, but that he's doing everything he can already. Tell him that it's making him feel like a child and more pressured about getting a job than it is helping. Make sure he knows you appreciate the concern, but it's your husband's personal business to get a job on his own. Tell him he's handling it and he has his own prospects. Your father is clearly just trying to help, and I'm sure he doesn't mean to be over bearing, so just tell him to take a few steps back, and I'm sure he'll see that he's over stepped some boundaries.

Source(s): Army Wife. Psychologist. Nurse.

Yeah I heard about GM Motors letting people go. I'm so sorry you and your husband had to experience this first hand! The recession has made things really difficult for families financially.

Anyways, know that your father has your best interest in mind. I'm sure as your father, he feels like it's HIS job to help you and your husband in your time of need. Maybe he sees how difficult times are for you, or he's been in your shoes and knows how hard it is when there's no money coming in. Talk to your dad calmly and explain to him that you truly appreciate his help, but at the same time, you don't think he needs to take on the burden because it's between you and your husband. And you're an adult, no matter how your father feels about that, you are a grown up and can make your own decisions. You may want to consider taking him out for lunch first, or buying him a small gift and telling him that you mean no disrespect what so ever and you love him and will always love him.

Good luck!

You know every girl is different and its hard to say all women this or all women that. However, some girls (especially girls without a good education or skill) focus a lot on money. Also, money is attractive because it represents a man who is (normally) smart, responsible, employed and a number of other things that we look for in a long term relationship. If a man doesn't have money we wonder which of those characteristics he lacks. Girls don't want to be with a guy is can't work a budget, hold a job or is too dumb to get a job that pays over minimum wage. Keep in mind these are generalizations. During the current economy, there are many smart, responsible people on unemployment and this generalization doesn't apply to them. In regards to divorce and unemployment - a lot of marriages don't survive, but it isn't because girls are greedy for money. Marriages are tough and when a rough patch hits, both parties need to work together to get through it. If the marriage isn't very stable to begin with, there is a good chance that it won't survive. Also, when people are unemployed, they can change. They can get cranky, depressed, mean, etc. If that frustration is targeted on the spouse, it could damage the marriage. If that frustration creates unhealthy behaviors such as excessive drinking, sleeping til noon, watching daytime tv or hanging with the boys instead of actively looking for ways to bring in money or help save money - this too can damage the marriage. It isn't all black and white. It's not "Girls only want money". Girls want partners. We want someone that respects us and we respect. Money can have something to do with it, but it doesn't have to. More often than not, money is just a side factor of other things.

Dad, you have been a great help. Hubby has interviews lined up, has submitted his resume to a couple dozen places and has already gotten a few bites. We appreciate all the help you have given us.

If he continues, take it with a grain of salt. It sounds like he loves you both.

Sorry about you husbands job, I really hope this new one pans out for him.

• opetke

You call your father and say this:

"Dad, I know you're worried about us...especially about me. But I want you to stop trying to fix a problem that is not yours to fix. This problem is being solved currently by MY HUSBAND.

I know that you have the best intentions at heart. And I love you very much for it. But MY HUSBAND is the man who protects me and provides for me now.

That was the understanding when you GAVE me away at the wedding. He would protect and provide for me, and I would take care of him.

Now I'm proud of you and again, I love you. But please try not to worry, and stop calling MY HUSBAND with advice. I've told him if he needs advice, he can call you. And if we need help, you'll be the first person we ask. Count on that.

I love you Dad. You're the best father a daughter ever had."

You say that. Not your husband. You do.

If your husband has to put an end to this, there is going to be two angry males in your family squaring off.

You need to defend your territory and perserve everyone's feelings here.

Good Luck!

Your Dad's only worried about you. Let dad continue on doing what he's doing. If your husband truly get another job it will only be a matter of days or weeks. Every time you hear your dad's voice on your machine suggesting another job opening - smile and hear him say "I love you" I wish MY dad were still alive to help me.

Congrats on your Husbands new job!

Source(s): www.marriagerepaircenter.com

LOL, that's cute.. your dad is just trying to help. I'm sorry, I know how annoying it is because my dad would do the exact same thing and he actually has to me. I think the only way to get him to back off is to tell him, "Thanks dad for your interest and your help. We have several leads right now but we'll let you know if we do need you to look into anything for us in the future". Maybe he'd back off then? Good luck to your husband with the interview... I hope everything gets back on track for y'all soon!!

Just ask him to back off.... At least the hubby has found a job.. Mine hasn't worked in 4 months and I am now more bitter about it hearing yours went out and found a job the same week he lost his job... hahha

Good for him! I hope everything works out!!!!

I would tell him ok I will tell him to go do that till you find out if he has the job or not that's what I would tell your dad and when he does it the job then you can call and tell your dad that he got another job.

Its cool that your dad is trying to help and yes its anoying my inlaws were driving me crazy! but as far as looing for a new job right now in this time we need all the help we can get so just hang in there