promotion image of download ymail app

I'm a permanent resident of IL, but lived in CA and MI in 2008 (no income earned in IL).Where do I file taxes?


I never lived in IL during 2008, so I wasn't sure if I need to file in IL as well. Not sure what I would report. I am savy enough to file online without help, but just want to make sure I am following protocol. I am a medical resident so these state residencies (CA and MI) are temporary.

3 Answers

  • AJ
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If you earned wages in either state (CA or MI), you will have to file in both states. On state returns, it will ask if you were a resident full year or part of the year. Some states consider you a resident if you simply earned income. Others will consider you a non-resident for tax purposes. If you can't afford to go somewhere, do turbotax or similar program. They will fill out everything correctly.

    **You shouldn't have to worry about IL. My husband is a resident of IL. THey do not have state income tax. There will be nothing for you to file whether you earn income there or not. **

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Dimmy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    You can file in Illinois, but you'll need to file state income taxes for CA and MI. Go to a tax person and have them do it if you aren't sure how...

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • mcken
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    certain, you would possibly want to document the earnings. you're a US resident and US regulation calls for you to document it and pay the taxes on it. in case you pay any Indian taxes on the earnings the US furnish you with a credit for those taxes on variety 1116. The credit will be restricted to the decrease of the Indian tax extremely paid or the tax that the US would have accrued. the reason behind that is amazingly undemanding: that is US regulation.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.