Anyone have a good Jambalaya recipe?

Anyone have a good Jambalaya recipe? And how to tips?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • tracy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Crock-Pot Jambalaya

12 ounces skinless chicken breast cut in 1 inch cubes

1 pound smoked sausage

2 bell peppers chopped

1 onion chopped

2 celery stalks chopped

3 garlic cloves minced

1 can whole tomatoes

⅓ cup tomato paste

1 can beef broth

1 tbsp dried parsley

1 ½ tsp dried basil

½ tbsp oregano

1 tbsp Tabasco

½ tbsp salt

1 pound shrimp (optional)

In a crock-pot add all together except shrimp. Cook on high for 4 hours. Add shrimp and cook an additional 30 minutes. Serve over rice or combine with enough rice to the desired consistency

Source(s): realcajunrecipes.com
  • 1 decade ago

I don't normally do pre-packaged food - simply because of all the artificial ingredients, preservatives, etc. but Zatarain's Jambalaya is to die for!

I use turkey smoked sausage (you can use any kind of smoked sausage though) and chop it up into slices and brown it in a bit of oil in the bottom of a large pot. When it's browned, I remove it and boil the required amount of water in the same pot. Follow the directions on the box. Add the sausage (you can also use chicken, shrimp, or all three!) when you add the rice mixture

I always buy the low sodium variety so I can control the amount of salt in the dish. It always gets rave reviews from whomever I fix it for! Two boxes makes a lot of food - and it heats up great. It's quick and easy and great for a time crunch!

Source(s): I've never used it, but there is a recipe on the Zatarain's website - it might make a good reference. http://www.zatarains.com/recipedetail.cfm?id=10366
  • Nancy
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Thunder Bay Grille Sausage Jambalaya recipe 1 1/2 pounds uncooked sweet Italian or Andouille sausage, sliced about 1/2-inch thick 1 cup medium diced onion 1/2 cup medium diced green bell peppers 1/2 cup medium diced celery 2 cups canned diced tomatoes with juice 2 cups uncooked long-grain enriched parboiled white rice 1 tablespoon chicken base 2 cups water 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce or to taste 1 tablespoon Cajun spice In preheated 8-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, saute sausage about 5 minutes. Add all vegetables and cook 5 minutes. Add rice, stirring until well coated with liquid in pan. Mix chicken base with water and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Serve immediately, or chill and reheat before serving. Makes 4 to 6 servings. Variations: Vary the recipe by adding other meats. Good options include chicken, shrimp, scallops or pork. Adjust the level of spices to suit your taste.

• 1 decade ago

Here is a great jambalaya recipe: http://www.recipe4living.com/Recipe/33040-Jambalay...

Ingredients

1 bunch of greens onions (chopped)

1 onion (chopped)

2 celery stalks(thinly sliced)

1 green(Bell)pepper (chopped)

1 lb. smoked sausage(sliced)

1 C. shrimp

2 Tbs. margarine

1 can of Rotel tomatoes (14 oz)

1 can of diced tomatoes (14oz)

1 can of cream of chicken soup

2 cans of chicken broth (or 3C. of homemade chicken broth)

salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste

Kitchen Bouquet

2 C. Instant Rice

Directions

Take first seven ingredients, place in skillet and cook until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, hot sauce and enough Kitchen Bouquet to make a darker color. Cook slowly covered for about 45 minutes to an hour. Add Instant Rice. Let stand about 10 minutes and you have yourself a pot of Jambalaya.

For more, check out our section at: http://www.recipe4living.com/Help/Default.aspx?id=...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Try this:

SERVES 6

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter

1 cup onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes

1 1/2 cups long grain rice

1 teaspoon basil

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1 tablespoon soup mix

1/2 cup green pepper, chopped

1/2 cup celery, sliced

1/4 cup dried parsley

1 lb shrimp, uncooked

3 chicken breasts, cooked, cubed

6 mushrooms, sliced

Directions

1Heat butter in tight, fully covered saucepan.

2Add onion and garlic, cook over low heat for 5 minutes.

3Add tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil.

4Sprinkle rice on top of tomatoes.

5Add salt, pepper cayenne and soup mix.

6Cook for 15 minutes.

7Then add green pepper, celery, parsley and basil.

8If necessary, add a little water or tomato juice and cook for another 5 minutes.

9Transfer to a casserole dish and add shrimp, chicken and juices, sliced mushrooms.

10Cover tightly.

11Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes 350°F till shrimp are cooked, but not overdone.

• 1 decade ago

Oven Baked Jambalaya

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1/2 cup butter

* 1 large onion, diced

* 1 large green bell pepper, chopped

* 4 stalks celery, chopped

* 4 cloves garlic, minced

* 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

* 3 bay leaves

* 3 tablespoons Creole Seasoning Blend

* 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

* 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes

* 7 cups chicken stock

* 3 cups chopped cooked ham

* 3 cups cooked andouille sausage, sliced

* 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces

* 3 cups frozen cooked shrimp

* 4 cups uncooked long-grain white rice

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Melt butter in large stock pot. Saute onion, green pepper, celery and garlic until tender, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add tomato paste and cook to brown slightly, stirring constantly. Stir in bay leaves, Creole seasoning blend and Worcestershire sauce. Pour into a large roasting pan. Squeeze tomatoes to break up into pieces, and add to mixture in pan. Stir in juice from tomatoes, chicken stock, ham, sausage, chicken, shrimp and rice. Mix well. Cover tightly with aluminum foil.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours, stirring once halfway through baking time. Remove bay leaves before serving.

Chicken Jambalaya I

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 2 tablespoons butter

* 1/3 cup chopped celery

* 1/4 cup chopped onion

* 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

* 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes

* 1 1/2 cups chicken broth

* 2/3 cup white rice

* 1 teaspoon dried thyme

* 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

* 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

* 1 bay leaf

* 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken meat

DIRECTIONS

1. Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add celery, onion and green bell pepper and saute until tender. Stir in tomatoes, broth, rice, thyme or basil, garlic salt, ground black pepper, hot pepper sauce and bay leaf.

2. Bring all to a boil; reduce heat, cover skillet and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in chicken or turkey and cook until heated through. Discard bay leaf and serve hot.

• 1 decade ago

I have never made homemade jambalya, but the new orleans boxed jambalya is easy and good. Sorry if that is not what you were looking for!

my favorite recipe site is allrecipies.com i am sure you could find what you are looking for there if you don't get it here

• Alene
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No brilliance could be availed for fruit over vegetable or viceversa..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.