Alicia
Alicia asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

best science fiction movie?

i'm watching tv-movie "supernova" while typing this and im afraid it's just a complete insult to my own intelligence ... can anyone recommend a really good science fiction movie to make up for this friggin' atrocity?

Favorite Answer

2001: Space Odyssey

Solaris

If I was subjected to torture (being strapped into a chair and forced to watch an endless loop of Barney reruns, for example) and forced to select One Film above All Others as The Best SF film ever made...

I'd have to say Blade Runner. It has the timeless quality of a real classic film, and it is very nearly flawlessly SF.

Since I'm not being subjected to torture, I'll offer some further thoughts on the subject of "Great" SF films.

The last great SF film was "Wall E", that I've seen. Yes it's a kids film, go see it anyway.

The Essential SF list runs like this

Metropolis

Forbidden Planet

A Clockwork Orange

Blade Runner

Alien

Serenity

Vanilla Sky

The Abyss

The Terminator

Aliens

Pitch Black

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Children of Men

The Truman Show

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

Mission to Mars contained a lot of realistic elements, but some inaccuracies as well. The aliens at the end were also a bit ridiculous. That movie had the most realistic Mars set ever filmed, the space ships were realistic and based on NASA's (abandoned) Mars Plan, and the space suits were authentic test suits used by NASA (so I've heard, but I'm having trouble verifying that). Rarely, however, does Hollywood produce a sci-fi movie that is even closely true to science.

Total Recall

Blade Runner

Terminator

Alien(s)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Star Wars IV

Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan

Also consider watching Star Trek (original and the next generation are the best), Doctor Who, and Battlestar Galatica TV series.

Forgot to mention one of the better series/movies I have seen in quite a while. Check out Firefly and the movie Serenity, which is starring the same cast and plot, but in a stand alone movie. The series is VERY good.

Blade Runner(1982)

Wall-E(2008)

Source(s): self

Wall-E

2001: Space Odyssey

Alien

Blade Runner

Terminator

12 Monkeys

Donnie Darko

Children of Men

I Am Legend

Planet of the Apes

Why the thumbs down?

The abyss, sunshine, pitch black, the chronicles of riddick, enemy mine are some of my all time favorites. The star trek movies are also amazing, they will make up for supernova no questions asked.

Gattica is pretty "old" compared to all the modern sci-fi films but if your looking for ideas/themes to think amout the meanings pretty deep for my standards.

blade runner(best sci-fi movie in my opinion)

terminator

k-pax(kinda sci-fi, kinda drama)

close encounters of a third kind

universal soldier

signs

mars attacks

sunshine

flatliners

i robot

One of my favorites is Metropolis (1927)