Meaning of "Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes, but when we look back everything's differrent?"?

Ex sent it to me. What would the meaning be in that context?

Favorite Answer

You go on with your life as days gone by and you never notice the changes but when you tried to think about the past days, you realize everythings different and it's funny because you never notice it.

Source(s): Myself

I'll answer this in my situation, i am a father of 3 and my oldest is 3, everyday i wake up and go to work for 9 hours, come home, play with the kids, eat dinner, put kids to bed and then go to sleep, then the next day i wake up and start it all over, now while i look from day to day i see no real changes all i notice is small changes in the day but when i look back to even a few months in the past i see that my kids have changed dramatically. The subtle changes in ones life are never pronounced until they look at the situation in a broader spectrum.

I would say that at the time nothing seems different because the changes are so small and insignificant, but you look back in, say, a year's time, and suddenly you're able to see the difference! It's sort of like I've heard it said, you can take two sets of tracks, side by side, and each day move one set of tracks just a tiny fraction away from the first set, and after a time the second set will be going in a totally different direction!

Everything Changes Meaning

Through your day to day events, things are always routine. Same ole same ole. Then one day you look back and realize that there were actual minor changes going on and look at your now! you are wholly different because of it. You're looking at the big picture when looking back. Before you could only see a small amount of time at once.

Like when you're loosing weight or strengthening your muscles. A little bit at a time means hardly anything to a person, but a few months down the road they can see what all that added up to.

I have a definition similar to your statement. The definition, "a series of events that led to the current state-of-affairs" basically suggests your statement. My definition has no word, operand, with such a definition, because my word is metaphysical and "post hoc" thinking, as is your statement. The English language contains very few metaphysical words, especially words based on fallacious perceptions. Philosophically your statement and my definition mean nothing.

Yet, human perception understands reality as a series of events, or as day-to-day operations, causing changes in our physical universe (as well as, our understanding thereof). If it were not the case, fiction and storytelling would be meaningless--as would experience, instruction, sciences, and any other mode of operation.

Philosophy cannot see past our post hoc understanding of the world, and thus provides no answer. I do, however, believe that all day-to-day motion acts as a type of causal-chain event engine. For whatever that is worth.

Source(s): Perception

Everyday is basically the same don't you think? It's basically "same old same old" right? But when you remember back into years past, you think how much everything has changed from then to now. I don't know the context but it could be about the way you think when your a little kid, or how people change with time.

it means that everything seems slow with nothing changing and you're life being the same, but you are changing and when you take the time to look at you're life now and who you were or the world was a little while back, very little will be the same.

As days go by, you might not realize that people are changing, whether in appearance or personality, but then after a long time, when you look back at their old selves, you see how much they've changed.

Source(s): That's my favorite phrase xD

I think what it's trying to say is that it seems like nothing ever changes, even though it does (little by little).

So like one day when it's your birthday, you feel the same way you did yesterday. Except, it you look it it, you're different than you were the year before.