Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

Are You Really Not Racist?

Alright, I've noticed that everyone here is getting in an uproar over Miley Cyrus (including me), so I've decided to make this topic to test whether or not the majority of Yahoo! Answerer's are ignorant to race.

Now, do you consider it racist when...

1) An African American man has difficulty obtaining an occupation simply because many white Americans feel "uncomfortable" around an employee who is a minority?

2) An Asian is expected to be intelligent just based off of stereotypes?

3) An African American is expected to be athletic just based off of stereotypes?

4) A Hispanic is expected to be illegal just based off of stereotypes?

5) Miley Cyrus is viewed as "only being a teenager" when she pulls back her eyes behind another Asian?

Just post your answers here. I want to see something. And yes, I did make up this test, so it is not scientific.

Flowerr-

Of course you wouldn't consider it racist, because you're not Asian, while I am. =)

natalie-

Stereotypes are racist. They are not nice. You're white though, so you have no real stereotypes, so of course you wouldn't understand,

I didn't include Caucasians as an example because they hardly have any visible stereotypes. It is very difficult to determine who is French or German, and it is easy to keep quiet about it. However, a minority has visibility, so stereotyping is much easier.

Also, I don't consider what Miley did "just a mistake". Racism is racism, pure and simple.

Shadow Spirit-

Thank you. I finally found someone who understands the principles of racism. This thread is now closed. I don't care anymore.

Favorite Answer

<preface "rant">I was born in South Africa. I'm a white guy, yeah, but so many people assume I'm the racist because of that, despite how many whites protested alongside the black population (I will not call black Africans "African American", they are African, but technically so am I), including my family (They've been shot at, hit with riot hoses, etc). It's a rather ironic discrimination in my eyes. Probably doesn't help that I was born with a cleft pallet and have rather visible scaring, but hey, whatever.</preface rant>

Anyway,

Yes, I do consider that racist, if they were uncomfortable with the fact that they were a minority.

That is racist. I've known smart Asians, thick Asians, and average Asians. Same goes for any other racial group I've met. Any stereotype, be it positive or negative, is still a racially based discrimination.

Again, racist. The origin of most African American stereotypes was based on animals (Both positive and negative), to make slave owners feel less guilty about degrading them. I known a very good swimmer who was African-American. I know a white girl who isn't very tall who is excellent as basketball.

Maybe it's because I've never lived in the U.S, but I've yet to encounter anyone who assumed Hispanics are illegal immigrants. I have however, encountered people who consider people from Pakistan illegal (Which would be the English equivalent), or from Asia (The Kiwi/Aussie equivalent). I've always had a contempt for these judgemental pricks.

This question doesn't seem exactly based directly on race. Yes, some of my fellow teens do pull their eyes back. All but one do this as a mockery of Asians. The one who doesn't do it as a mockery claims that if he does it just right, it allows his eyes to focus on things further away (This reasoning comes from the logic around pinhole glasses and photography F-stops), and for some reason, it works with him.

Now, I'll admit, the majority of my friends are white, but that's because the majority of people in England, Finland, Australia and New Zealand are white, so it's out of my hands.

Source(s): 15 year old South African Understanding that racism is differentiating any race based on anything.

- I wouldn't consider that racist unless the person didn't like that race...People can be perfectly fine with people of other races, but still feel uncomfortable for various reasons...

- That's not racist...The person is just ignorant, not racist...

- That's not racist since that is also because of ignorance...You don't have to be racist to think that...

- It's racist if you dislike Mexicans and insult them based on what some people do...

- That's just fooling around...Maybe it was a bit inappropriate, but it doesn't means she's racist...

Also, there definitely IS obvious racism against white people...At least ignorant comments from people who aren't racist...Just look on TV...Even in cartoons...I won't name the shows because I don't want to offend anyone, but...Just watch for it on TV...

By the way, it's not like white people are the only people who have people of different backgrounds with the same skin colour...Germans and French are different, just as different Africans are different, Asians are different, and so on...Who says Miley Cyrus was being racist towards Asians? Isn't that hard since we don't know if he was Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, etc.? No...

Your argument is weak...

Now, do you consider it racist when...

yes

yes

yess

yes

she was not being recist ppl are ******* retarded all teens do dumb **** get the ***** over it.. ppl

Quit ripping on white people. What do you want, an apology from white people for being white? There's more of us in America. So what? If I went to Japan I would be a minority and some people would probably make fun of me because of it. People are always going to be ignorant. There's a stereotype that anyone who wears thick glasses and plays Dungeons and Dragons is a nerd too, but that doesn't mean it's true. But people don't get all up-in-arms about it. Just chill out. And other than the last one, I think the things you posted could be considered racist in many instances. But I didn't ask to be born white and I'm not about to start feeling guilty because I'm in the racial majority. I could have just as easily been born into a smaller ethnic group.

Yes, that's racist.

No, I don't really consider sterotypes to be racist, there's tons of them going around, you just have to deal.

above answer.

well this one I think is racist, becuase not every hispanic is illegal & so this ones pretty messed up

Nahhh. I've done it before.

Source(s): What are you talking aboutwhite people have no sterotypes. If your blonde your dumb. If you italian your a guidette. If your german your a nazi If your british you hate americans if your french you eat gross food & your a stripper. COMEEE ONNN. you need to use your brain a little bit.

1. Of course that's racist.

2. I wouldn't say "racist" exactly, but very out of line.

3. I've never even heard of that being a stereotype. But like I said about the Asian one, that would be out of line.

4. This one is racist.

5. Why are you so worried about it? She wasn't the only one in the picture, why aren't you whining about them too?

And I adore how you didn't even use Caucasians in any of your examples. In every post you've made to me you've brought up something derogatory about white people, and you did it again in this one. Way to go, racist. You act as though white people are the only ones capable of racism.

edit: I went to Hawaii and lots of racist remarks were made towards me, from Asians. You're not high and mighty because you're an Asian.

Source(s): I seriously don't see how this would be able to define who is racist and who is not.
  • xx

1) yes.

2) that's irrelevant, that's a stereotype, not racism

3)once again, a stereotype, not making fun of someone's race

4)same answer as number 3

5) she didn't intend racism

I found this test very, unaffective, a lot of it was based on stereotypes, not amking fun of someone's race,over half of it, do you know what racism is? ...

I'm not white, but thanks a bunch for assuming, and yes I have been sterotyped before, and you're doing it right now by saying that just because people are white, they don't know what being stereotyped is like...

Sterotypes aren't racist, people say blondes are dumb, is that racist now too?...

Because some people proved you were stereotyping whites and you realized now ur saying you don't carea nymore? After making such a big deal out of it? Finish what you start.

I think people will claim any minor thing as racism because they are looking to be offended. Grow a tougher skin.

There are just as many stereotypes against Caucasians. Minorities can be racists also.

Stereotypes are not racist. Thinking someone is lesser a person because of their skin color is. Thinking blacks are better at sports is not a racists thing. It may be idiotic but its not racist.

Oh and before you spout off about me being white. I'm not. I'm a minority but I choose to not let silly things offend me.

people probably wouldn't care as much if it was some other 16 year old kid doing it and not miley cyrus. just because she's some big celebrity people are trying to make things bigger than they actually are. I doubt you would be as much offended if it was some random 16 year old. Bottom line, just because she's a celebrity she's stil only 16. So, of course she's going to do stupid stuff. what do you expect?

Wow. This is definitely serious. People just presume that your profile picture is supposed to to look similar to you. I know exactly how you feel. My problem is vice versa, I use white profile pictures usually but I'm actually black. They're either using simple sense and are not considering this option or are randomly guessing.