i poured virgin sulfuric acid down my kitchen drain. it smelled awful andi hardened in my pipes. what do i do?

• Jigi
    Favorite Answer

As a landlord I sometimes purchase sulfuric or muriatic acid to clean clogs out of pipes in my rentals. I have been doing this for years and have never heard of it hardening in the pipes. It always smells awful.

Most likely what happened is that the acid turned the clog into sludge which then clogged your pipes even more. The safest thing for you to do would be to call a plumber and warn him of the acid and have him run a snake through the pipes to clean out the sludge. The next best thing would be to rent a snake yourself and do the job, but I would not recommend this because you seem inexperienced.. However, I was inexperienced once and learned how to handle this by watching a plumber correct my error, and have handled it my self ever since.

Source(s): I am a landlord and have cleaned out a lot of pipes.

The sulfuric acid should have cleared the pipes and probably eaten through them if you haven't neutralized it with baking soda and water. If it's a double sink then plug one end and use a toilet plunger but, don't go wild or your going to blow the pipes apart, watch for the acid you can burn yourself badly.

If you can get it moving start putting water down it. Sulfuric acid does not harden.

• Telmah

Depends how long ago you did it, did you continue to run water down the system after? what has hardened? sulphuric acid doesn't harden in most cases things fall apart, you could be in for a hefty repair bill and or a fine if it gets traced back to you and that should not be too difficult. (tough on the sewer rats (by this water 's hot on yer toes )) and if you are on a septic tank then some one will have to dig it out eventually.

Firstly, your a silly sod for doing that! but there is nothing you can do, the affects of the suphuric acid cannot be reversed! They will have to be replaced if its serious.

1. you can change the pipes when your paren't arent home 2. you can say my friends and i were doing a project with spackle an by mistake some feel down the sink when we were washing our hands