Does anyone know any Native American Indian last names?

I'm trying to find as many Native American last names as I can. Comanche Indians are the ones I am more interested in.

Any websites, names, anything would help.

Thanks.

• Salish
    Favorite Answer

Mine is Purser. I am Suquamish. Other common last names here are George, Sigo, Jones, Alexander, Soloman, Williams, Jackson, Naploeon, Weber, Webster, Wilber, Gemmell, Pratt, Taken-Alive(ayyye!) that one was a name change from Rogers, and hmm...oh! Cordero, Medina, Boure, Pondelik, Mabe, Hill, you get the point? Sir names are not part of our culture.The only reason we have them is because the U.S. government assigned them. My great grandpa literally drew his english names out of a hat.

Ok, I was nice, but i have a feeling your the one who gave me a thumbs down, so I am not going to be diplomatic. First of all, why the hell would there be a registry of "Native american last names"? I mean, is there one for African Americans, White folks, or Asains? NO. Why the h*ll do european americans always degrade us to something less than human? Like a mascot or a mythical being? Seriously, its time for you to get a reality check. If your looking for stupid names like Running bear and sh*t, try HOLLYWOOD. Because appearantly, you don't want the reality, you want the fantasy. I am sorry we REAL natives don't fit the description of your fantasy ones. And just to give you a heads up, I know for a fact the Comanche or any other tribe could give less than a rats AS$ about how much you want to be one of them. If you really like natives so much, hand over your property to the nearest tribe, and get on a plane to go back to your own country. THats the only thing that will make most of us happy...

Source(s): I can't stand wanna-be's. Your not native, no matter how much you "love our culture" or have seen "dances with wolves" or how royal your supposed Cherokee grandma was...stop trying to steal our identity. ITs all we have left.
    • Melissa S3 years agoReport

Salish: One of the dumbest things I ve ever read. You re a cretin. Have a nice life.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Thanks.

Source(s): native american indian names: https://tinyurl.im/cH4w9

I'm from the Confederated Tribes of the Colville reservation in Washington State. Some of the last names there are: Everybody-Talks-About, Bearcub, Red Thunder. These are the names with Native names as their origin. Most Natives here though have French and Scotch-Irish last names because of the fur trade. Those names are Finley, Marchand, Toulou, Stensgar, Seymour, Swan.

Screw Hollywood , they will use whites or Mexicans to play the part of a Native American . I am full Lakota / Sioux . I was given the name Kickingbull , my father use the name Cornett becaue he needed work no one would hire a Native back then . Also I hate it that Lumbee's they are not federally recognized , They are descended from African American Slaves and either European settlers or Spanish settlers . Why do people keep calling them Native Americans ?

• Janet3 years agoReport

I'm proud to have Apache blood running through my veins and I for one would like to see Native Americans play Native American parts. Makes me so angry when they don't.

Each reservation has surnames common to their tribe-for instance when the Tuscaroras went north from n.carolina to n.y. there were Rickard, Chew, Green, Mt. Pleasant, Printup, Jack, Jacobs, and others I cant think of this late at night. These are common all through the six nations in u.s. and canada. The natives already in ny are also-Beaver, Isaacs, Seneca, Williams, Anderson, Patterson, Clause, Abrams. And more. On the Seneca Blue eyes is a common name with the rest and there is Dean. Some of the names I know from western are: Mommadaty, Leading fox, Spotted Elk, Harjoe. I know this because I lived on Tuscarora and folks from reserves all over-even up into quebec. There are many more that slips my mind because I should be sleeping. The others are right about Indians did not have surnames and chose from white people.

Source(s): Observation and listening to history spoken aloud

Lumbee's are not Native American !!!!! There is proven DNA that Lumbee's carry African American blood. After the Civil war black men decided to create a race of black Native Americans . These men started breeding with Cherokee . Lumbee's have had wars between them and the KKK . Research the facts . Lumbee's cannot get a CDBI card ! ( Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood )

I would just like to comment on how Salish's answer because although most Native Americans have more common last names, my great-grandmother was full blooded Lakota Sioux and her surname was Greenwood, and then I have cousins with the last name Runninghorse. So, even though most Native Americans have surnames that aren't just common for them, but for all people, there are still some out there with names that, even though they might sound like it, aren't Hollywood ****.

My Last Name Is Roller and Im Lumbee Indian From Pembroke North Carolina.

My husband is a Paiute Navajo from Big Pine Ca and his ancestors were given the surname of Moffett but his great grandfather changed their name back to Lone Eagle. I've been told through stories passed down that Lone Eagle was the name of his great grandfather's grandfather and this is how they chose the name as a surname.

So yes the majority of Indians still use their government given surnames but many are choosing names that were passed down through their family history or at the very least more fitting.

Most were given last names by Europeans. Some Navajo surnames given were Begay, Benally, Bitsilly, Chee, Etsitty, Nez, Tsosie, and Yazzie. However there are just as many surnames like Smith, Lee, White, and Johnson or Martinez, Sanchez, and Chavez. As mentioned it was not tradition to have a surname until Europeans gave them to them.

• Also a good place to inquire would be the Comanche Nation's website. http://www.comanchenation.com/

well my Grandfather first name Tecumseh i'm not sure of the last name martin came from maybe his wife . MY Grand mother and his family lived on a reservation untill they all left moved and scattered everywhere....went there seperate ways and some ended up fruit pickers in calif. and that would be me. my grandmother Never admitted this untill she was passing .Except to tell us she was offered land in oklahoma but she said NO. She was embarrassed i feel bad for her!!! i was an only child and had no clue i am Native i'm not one of the people that would even want to say anymore i figure if my grand mother wanted everyone to know she would have said someting and i would be on the Resevation. i just figure Natives make fun of people and honestly i can see why my family left. i dont want to be made fun of !!!!.. OHHH there's another white girl that wants to play Native. it is awful the things that are said