automotive electricians HELP!?

My 30 amp ptc fuse (powertrain control) keeps blowing when i start my 1996 GEO metro 1.0 liter 3 cylinder. i scanned my car and it shows no problems with any components. The 30 amp fuse is connected to the fuel tank pressure sensor, brake lights and clutch switch, all ok nothing grounded, new alternator also. There is a short somewhere. tell me the process for finding a short please.

Favorite Answer

you need to find the colour of the wire. and trace it back to find the short. 30 amps is a big fuse to be blowing! i would suggest that it has worn through somewhere. If you use an ammeter it will help you find it quicker

Source(s): ex vehicle tech
  • John K

shorts are the biggest pain in the butt to find

you are going to have to go by process of elimination to isolate the problem

start with the easiest and most common problem.... brake lights

check the entire circuit starting with the bulbs and sockets and work your way back from there

once you know that trail is a dead end go to the clutch switch and do the same , checking for bare wires

wish it were easier but it isnt

No one can tell you where the short is, without looking at the car. If it blows when you start it, the starter is probably the culprit. Some starters suck a lot of amps when they've gone bad.