Im so scared about my wedding! Its traditional punjabi and I have no idea what to expect! HELP!!!?

My bf proposed recently and Im so happy, but its just occurred to me that his family and him expect there to be a fullscale Sihk punjabi wedding back in india (he's indian, Im australian). We're young, and we cant afford to have a wedding here in aus and another in india. The flights and gifts for everyone... show more My bf proposed recently and Im so happy, but its just occurred to me that his family and him expect there to be a fullscale Sihk punjabi wedding back in india (he's indian, Im australian).
We're young, and we cant afford to have a wedding here in aus and another in india. The flights and gifts for everyone will send us broke even if his family payed for the actual wedding.

I always had this dream for a simple, elegant small scale wedding. Im not big on being the centre of attention so much, and I always imagined just close friends and family, and a really beautiful, personal ceremony. I come from a pretty modern kind of family too, and Im not overly fussed with tradition, and I am not especially religious.

But in India his family is big, and well known so the wedding could easily be 300+ people, it will be like 5 days of celebration, lots of religion, lots of ancient traditions and nothing 'understated' about it.
And worst of all, these people are all strangers to me! Iv never met them because Iv never been to india to visit any of them before. Iv been studying. Maybe my mother and little sister will fly to india to be there, but my friends are students or just starting work, and the rest of my family probably dont have the financial means to fly across the world for a week. Im going to be basically alone. Traditionally I wont be with my fiance before the ceremony, and we definately wont be alone together at all with so many people around.

What the hell am I suppose to do? Im petrified of being alone and in india with strangers. I dont spek the language and I really dont understand lots of the traditions. Im so stressed Im going to offend someone accidently.
How am I going to enjoy my wedding at all? And how can my dream wedding compete with thousands of years tradition and the expectation of an entire family...and culture???