Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

How can I lower my BP quickly to pass a DOT physical?

I am a truckdriver that has been layed off for a while and in order to get back out there I have to have a physical so I can get my medical card renewed. My bp is around 140/90 and I am going for the physical today(I just got offered the job yesterday) so I just need to get it down a little bit.

I was wondering if taking an aspirin or two would help.

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately aspirin makes blood platelets, for the lack of a better word, slippery, it doesn't lower blood pressure.

Paramedics use nitroglycerin tablets, they cause your blood vessels to dilate and lower blood pressure, but that is dangerous and I would not do it.

The safest way I know is to take deep slow breaths (in through the nose and out through the mouth) for several minutes before the BP exam, in other words, just plain and simple relaxation techniques. I have had the same problem with DOT and FAA physicals and the relaxation technique has worked for me. Tell them you have "White Coats" syndrome and it causes your BP to go up and ask if you can have a few minutes to relax. Most MD's realize that you have a job riding on the results and with minor hypertension like yours, will give you the time for the deep breathing to work.

P.S. If you are a smoker, don't smoke right before the test, that raises your BP, but don't wait till you have a nic fit either.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am a truckdriver that has been layed off for a while and in order to get back out there I have to have a physical so I can get my medical card renewed. My bp is around 140/90 and I am going for the physical today(I just got offered the job yesterday) so I just need to get it down a little...

Source(s): bp quickly pass dot physical: https://shortly.im/pfm5Z
  • ?

3 years ago, I was diagnosed - hypertension with a reading of 160/100. I used to feel dizzy a lot, my legs had awful cramps, and levels were very low in my potassium, causing my fingers and toes to always cramp together. One day I started to feel really faint while I was driving with my daughter in the back seat and I passed out, hitting 3 cars and ending up in a ditch. That moment,I knew I had to do something because my meds weren't working. I heard about this diet from a friend and thought I'd give it a shot. The results have been remarkable. In just 21 days, I honestly can't remember feeling this good, my blood pressure went from 175/110 to 125/70.

Know anyone with heart problems? take a blood pressure med or nitro tablet. May drop you on the floor from passing out- but will lower your blood pressure fast. Got some Viagra? That might work, too. Course... the physical might be a little awkward...

In all seriousness, relaxation, maybe Niacin (it causes a "flush" due to vasodilation- couldn't hurt to try). Alcohol is also a vasodilator, but maybe not a good idea to show up with whiskey on the breath. No caffeine, nicotine, salt, fat.

That's the best I can think of in that short of time. In the long run- weight loss is best.

Why don't you just go to the doctor, get on a low dose antihypertensive, not worry about it anymore, pass your physical exam, and live longer. Because if you go in there and your BP is high, they will not pass you, they will give you a 3 month temporary cert (if no other disqualifies) and tell you to get your BP fixed by your primary care before you will get a real 2 year cert.

At 140/90 you should probably be on blood pressure medicine. Right now, there are two things you can do: 1) No salt today at all. That means no junk food, no fast food, probably no prepared foods; even bread has salt. Fruits and vegetables are safe. Second, when they're taking your blood pressure, picture yourself on a nice beach, relaxing, kicking back, enjoying life. You can bring your BP down a bit just by thinking of beautiful relaxing things.

You should not be trying to lower your blood pressure just to get a job but to keep it low for your own health. It is noted that when having a blood pressure test the results are high as the patient is anxious. I would like to say that you need to take three blood pressure readings, over a few weeks to determine the correct level. Hypertension (high blood pressure) is the lower reading, diastolic. Yours is 90, and anything above 90 is hypertension. I would advise you to be honest with yourself for your health and lower your blood pressure by adopting a healthy lifestyle. In saying this I do sympathise with you as you need to work as we all do,.If you want to pass the test then don't smoke or drink, or eat anything with salt in it. I wish you all the best.

Source(s): Anatomy and physiology, Marieb.

2

1

Source(s): High Blood Pression Remedy http://latis.info/LowerBloodPressure/?oBg3

Do it first thing in the morning. Your BP will be it's lowest, immediately after waking up. Take one aspirin before sleeping and after waking. No caffeine, cigarettes, salt or soda.