Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationOther - Outdoor Recreation · 1 decade ago

Anyone know of any good backpacking / primitive camping in Northern Wisconsin?

I would like to go backpacking and primitive camping in northern Wisconsin, anyone know of any good areas?

Favorite Answer

I used to live in Northern Wisconsin. If you want primitive, stay away from tourist towns like Minocqua, Bayfield and Hayward. The tourist brochures make them look rustic, but in the summer there are soooo many people, that traffic is ridiculous! Sometimes I felt like I was driving in downtown Chicago! Try going up toward the U.P. There are a ton of waterfalls. The northshore of Minnesota is awesome too. Some of my buddies used to go to places near Antigo for hunting/canoeing. Nicolet National forest ROCKS! There's long stretches of wilderness and it can be pretty hilly too. In the spring, the roadsides are carpeted with Trilliums, sweet. I stayed at Pattison State Park's campground once. Its not super rustic, but there are two waterfalls in the park and tons of hiking around the general area.

The Rocky Mountains could be large, yet once you have in no way even been in a wide-unfold campsite until now then you definately shouldn't attempt and bypass into the wild by utilising your self. additionally in case you do choose to bypass to the Rockies or different national parks you need to be in exceptional shape considering the fact which you isn't waiting to easily set up camp the place ever you please the park ranger provides you with a map and mark the places you may supply up for each night and a lot of circumstances you will might desire to stroll many miles. So for my very final theory in case you have in no way camped until now or whether you have yet have in no way backpacked it until now then you definately might desire to probally seem into taking a outdoors training through fact for the week you would be long gone you would be in the wild and must be arranged for the worst.

i loved the gandy dancer trail. it's gorgeous, and about 100 miles long