Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What's the difference between a Pulitzer Prize and the Nobel Prize for Literature?

Are they equally as 'good'? If not why not?

Favorite Answer

They are different because they have different criteria. The Nobel Prize considers an author's body of work as a whole. The Pulitzer is for a particular piece. The Nobel is only given in one category--literature. The Pulitzer is given in a number of different categories. The Nobel has a significant cash prize. I don't know about the Pulitzer.

It has always been sort of the pinnacle to win the Nobel Prize in anything. Nobel laureates are so recognized because their career has been one of quality, consistency and high critical praise. The Pulitzer Prize is a prestigious prize, but its track record has been a bit spotty, and it only considers a writer's current output.

First of all, the Pulitzer prize is American and the Nobel prize is for world literature. You get $10,000 for the Pulitzer and I'm not sure how much for the Nobel prize, though I believe it's substantially more than that. (It's 10 million dollars divided by however many prizes in all categories). Additionally, since it's recognized and admired worldwide, I'd say the Nobel is better. However, the Pulitzer is the best American prize.

A Pulitzer is for a single work while the Nobel is for the writer's entire oeuvre. In my opinion they're both good, but the Nobel is definitely the big one. You can win the Pulitzer more than once, but the Nobel you only win once. Only one Nobel Prize for Literature is awarded every year while the Pulitzer is awarded in several different categories.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

The Pulitzer Prize is for American citizens and the Nobel Prize is international.

A Pulitzer is a prize for well done literature and nobel peace prize is for literature that can help the world and bring about change

Doesn't matter which you win, either way you're probably still a virgin.