Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Sperm whale vs Megalodon?

I just watched a BBC video explaining the mighty ancient megalodon. I saw it's size in a simulation. How strong is this shark really if it still existed. And I would like to know if it could beat sperm whale in a fight.

Could it defeat the invincible blue whale?

• Favorite Answer

Well read all this and decide.

Killer whales devastate a pod of sperm whales in the Pacific off the coast of California. ... One cuts in and locks her jaws onto the side of a sperm whale.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_10_...

If the Killer whale could the Megaldon sure would've.

Sperm whale

This is a difficult question Mace because behavior of Megalodon is obscure. However I think that the if megalodon had any of the same behavior of the great white shark It could very well win. Sharks have use a tatic called attack and retreat. They attack an enemy or prey species than retreat after the prey loses some blood they will come back and attack again they are also very powerful and are 85 % muscle however there skeleton is pretty nimble because they are made out of cartilage same thing as megalodon. Also the bull sperm whale's jaw is relativley weak with small teeth and it eats small prey which indicates that it is not very aggresive. With this said I think the megalodon would probably win 8/10 times.

Sperm whale

150 ton Sperm whale is the most powerful predator of all times, in 18-19 century there were 30 metres old males who weighed 150 tons, 40 tons 16 meters meg female(largest of all) is just nothing compared to them, sperm whale has sonar to identify it and will take her by surprise 1:0, he has near 4 times more weight(150 tons versus 40 tons) 2:0, more than 3 times longer jaw(7 meters versus 2 meters) 3:0, 2 times larger teeth (15 inches versus 7 inches) 4:0, much tougher body 5:0, has huge head he can use it as weapon, any head to head crush will result in instant death of shark 6:0, besides shark has no bones, that is her deadly weakness, sperm whale will just bite her in halves 7:0, sperm whale has tougher bones, if shark will try to bite sperm, whale in the place where he has bones, she will break her jaws, has tail, which he can use as weapon 8:0, Sperm whale has much larger brain, so he is much smarter 9:0, the only advantage of shark is that it is a little faster 9:1, so, facts speak for themselves, shark will be eaten, because sperm wahle can both inflict and withstand more damage, has weight advantage and is smarter. And remember, angry sperm whale is extremely aggressive! They can sink ships which are much larger than them! Megalodon was probably a specialist that fed mostly on BALEEN whales in shallow waters. A main prey item was Cetotherium, which is much smaller than 150 ton sperm whale. Megalodon faced competition from the Killer Whales and sperm whales which evolved less than five million years ago. Populations of "transient" Killer Whales exploit sea mammals, and with pack behavior and high intelligence the Orca would have crowded the shark out of the same declining food source. Once that took place, the shark's huge adult size was of no advantage and in fact meant starvation. The large size of the shark meant it probably hunted alone. It is also likely that Killer Whales preyed on small juvenile megalodons, which shared their range and thus were potential food. Whales just superior to sharks. You said sperm whale has weak jaw? With that big head, I'll be shocked if I heard any creature with a 7m head had weak jaws. Someone say the sperm whale had weak jaws is just ridiculous! Do we know any case in which a large Great white killed even a young female sperm whale? I know none. 4m long Orcas kill 3m Great Whites just for fun, without being hurted, and I can hardly imagine a Megalodon killing a large spermwhale.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Interspecies-Conflict-3...

• ?3 years agoReport

Being hurted. Like really. You are an idiot. A megalon had a bite force of at least 18 tons, that's more than capable of biting OFF a tail of a sperm whale.

Megalodon Vs Whale

Two things.

The ocra is about the same size as a great white. Already it's been recorded that a single female orca assassinated a great white shark just for shits and giggles. Now imagine an angry male sperm whale taking on a megalodon of equal size. Don't see that ending any differently. Sperm whales specialize in giant prey like the colossal squid, which based on the beaks they have found in sperm whales stomachs, can be just as big or bigger than them. Big sharks go after much smaller prey. I don't see why this would have been any different with the megalodon.

Secondly, the megalodon is extinct. The sperm whale is still around. I'd put money that the smarter and more resourceful sperm whale had a hand in wiping them out, much less smaller prehistoric orcas. Therefore, i can't see a megalodon taking out a mature sperm whale bull. Maybe a sperm whale youth or an elderly lone female. But an adult bull in his prime? That would be a suicide mission.

Definitely megalodon Sperm Whales grow up to 60 feet while Megalodons can grow to 70 feet long or even more. It's been confirmed Megalodon has the strongest bite force of any animal that's ever lived stronger even than a tyransaurus rex. I'd say around 180,000 newtons or 18 tons bite force. Anyway Megalodon preyed on large mammals like whales. Sperm whales are toothed whales and their large so Megalodon could prey on them too. Megalodon would swim from below and take a big bite out of a whale usually the back end of the whale it's been the said the whale would be dead before it knew it was attacked. So I say Megalodon easily even if Megalodon challenged a Sperm whale to a battle it still has the size advantage and a much stronger bite power.

• simon3 years agoReport

Sperm whale could win. Megaldon grew to 50 ft while sperm wales are around 60-70ft long.

Sperm Whale Vs Blue Whale

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Sperm whale vs Megalodon?

Source(s): sperm whale megalodon: https://shortly.im/78a2n

Well chances are that the shark has a better advantage because it doesn't have to go up for air. However, the chance that they got into a fight with each other would be rare as the sperm whale isn't some slow whale. It at max has 17 feet over the megaladon. However, the shark is undoubtedly faster. The shark would probably win since it's countershading makes it harder to find and the echolocation can't go straight down to detect ambushes.

It's almost certain that Megalodons couldn't beat a bue whale. If megalodon is anything like great white, and that's most likely and almost everything we believe we know about mega is guesswork based on how great whites behave.

Fact is, great whites don't attack things bigger than they are. Period. Blue whales are bigger than Megalodons. So there.

• ?3 years agoReport

But megalodons DO attack whales bigger than them. Case in point, footage emerged of a shark biting off the tail of a whale under moonlight.

It would be uber uber strong!!

Like 10 times bigger and stronger than the great white or something

And would tear a sperm whale up no problem XD

I'm not afraid to go in the ocean, or dive with sharks, but i don't think i'd step a foot in the water if a megalodon still existed.

Megalodon. and yes it can even beat a blue whale.