How do you say February? Feb-uary or Feb-ruary?

I know it is spelled with an r. Which is correct? I think I was taught it is "ru"...but not many people say it this way!

I want to know correct American English! Anybody have the info? I couldn't get a straight answer in a google search.

also...I know tons of people that say. LI-BERRY for library. Please don't respond if you're gonna say...that's how i say it. I do appreciate the enthusiasm, but I NEED MY QUESTION ANSWERED! tee-hee.

Favorite Answer

I say it Feb-uary. I don't know many people who say it with the 'R'. Maybe it's meant to be silent? Who knows! :-)

EDIT: Ok you should have said that in the first place! Your question did ask how we say it...

Anyway, I did some research and found this:

'This is probably one of the most commonly mispronounced words in the English language. The r in February has been dropped so that it is almost always pronounced Febuary--without the r. Perhaps this is because placing the r sound in the word makes it slightly more difficult to pronounce, and since laziness tends to get the upper hand when we speak, Febuary has become the common pronunciation. However, despite this, the word is correctly pronounced February. The English language has enough silent letters as it is. Remember to keep the r sound in February.'

So there you go - that is the correct way to pronounce it!

Oh and from the same website (see below) it says this about 'library':

'Like the word February, there is a tendency for some speakers to leave out the r sound after the b in library, resulting in libary as the pronunciation. The r is not silent, though, so the standard pronunciation calls for leaving the br sound in place.'

It's Feb-uary

Source(s): Check this website, it may be useful: http://www.howjsay.com

Feb-uary

I have never met anyone in my life who says Feb-ruary, and I would be shocked if someone did. It can be pronounced like Feb-ru-ary of Feb-y-uary. Most people say neither though, they just shorten it to Feb-you-ary.

The correct way is Feb-ruary, though most people use Feb-uary. Either way doesn't really matter.

Feb-ru-ary

• I was taught as Feb-uary,

but I think correct English is Feb-ruary

The correct way if February although I pronounce if Feb-uary

Feb-uary

It is pronounced Feb ruary.