Kain asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

Covalent Bond Chemistry Question.?

Hi I just read my textbook and there doesn't seem to be any answer for this question that I can find:

1) Why is the H^2 molecule more stable than two separate hydrogen atoms? Does this hold true for most covalent bonds?

I don't get the question at all. I thought that two separate bonds were the same as a diatomic molecule. Please help. Thanks.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hydrogen has only one valence electron, and to make these elements "happy" their orbitals need to be filled. So to fill the S orbitals in Hydrogen there are two electrons required. Each hydrogen atom shares an electron with the other electron leaving a stable duet.

diatomic oxygen is similar, only oxygen has 6 valence electrons, but needs 8 to be "happy". So oxygen double bonds to itself so it can fill it's P orbitals.

Hope this helps! Chemistry can be confusing!

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

A polar covalent bond has a ingredient it is quite unfavorable and a ingredient it is quite advantageous. someone-friendly occasion of a polar covalent bond is H20. A nonpolar covalent bond has a good charge on all areas of the molecule. Examples of nonpolar covalent bonds are all molecules with 2 of the comparable atoms ex) 02, H2 yet another style of bond is an ionic bond which does no longer contain the sharing of electrons in any respect like covalent bonds do.

• 1 decade ago

the H^2 molecule is more stable because each H has 1 electron and hydrogen needs 2 electrons to be happy (most other atoms need 8 electrons in their outer shell to be happy) H only has one shell and each atom's first shell can only contain 2 electrons, H is a bit complicated bc its first and last shell are the same bc it only has one shell. basically bc a covalent bond is the sharing of electrons, H^2 is more stable bc both atoms have 2 electrons (because there are 2 total and they are being shared

think of it like this, you have an eraser and your friend has a pencil, you guys need to get together and share the pencil and eraser so you each can be satisfied

Source(s): email clg077000@utdallas.edu if you need more help
  • 1 decade ago

Hydrogen binds to itself because it is unstable as a single atom. When hydrogen molecules break, they release energy. On their own, Hydrogen atoms can be very combustable. They bind together because the Delta G (free energy) is negative, thus spontaneously the reaction wants to occur in the direction of bonding. It really has to do with electron sharing as well, but this should be enough for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.