Is Alfred Nobel a hypocrite?

The person who gave us The Nobel Peace Prize also invented dynamite.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

...and he was Batman's butler. How cool is that?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Excellent question. Looking at all the answers posted I am reminded that none of these inventions was the work of an individual but rather building upon those things learned and passed on from the past, yes I do understand that the was one person who had a breakthrough and put the ideas together in a new way. My answer is written language, think about it. Without being able to record knowledge we would be limited to a spoken history and mankind would never have been able to pass on knowledge to the next generation.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no because he thought dynamite would make war too horrible and costly for either side thus ending all wars, well it doesn't always work out. He would be a hypocrite if he invented dynamite with the intention of making wars easier to have, but alas the road to hell is paved with good intentions and dynamite apparently.

• broke
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

No. Nobel wanted to create a weapon so strong that it would force all of the nations of the world to peace in order to avoid self-destruction. Once realizing that he created a much worse situation, he created the Nobel Peace Prize in order to both rest his conscious and have his name remembered positively. However, his conscious was never truly put at rest and he constantly struggled with himself over what he created until he passed away.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • That would be me. I'm not Alfred Nobel. He made it mainly for mining. He made it to save lives as the nitro-glycerine previously used was causing a lot of deaths due to accidents.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dynamite was initially used to build mountain passes for roads...the fact it was eventually used in wars is not his fault anymore than it's Einstein's fault Oppenheimer used his theory to make an atomic bomb.

• Tim S
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Dynamite has very practical, non-destructive purposes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's why he invented it. He felt so guilty for inventing something that cause so much harm.

Source(s): Do a bit more research next time.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Dynamite have different uses (ruction, mining, demolition, underwater blasting etc), I don't think his intentions were to kill people.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there is not one single person is the world who isn't a hypocrite. i yell when people even think about eating my stuff, but I don't think twice about taking theirs

• 1 decade ago

Probably

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.