Brad asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why are Republicans acting like Democrats did when Bush was pres if they called Dems unpatriotic?

Why is it okay for them to act like something they say they dislike? When Democrats question their government, Republicans call them unpatriotic. When Republicans question their government, it's ok? I don't get the hypocrisy in the democracy...

• Ella
    Favorite Answer

Because dirty hands do a lot of pointing.

I won't speak for anyone but me...

But, consider this... When G.H.W. Bush was in Kuwait (during Clinton's administration), there was an assassination attempt on his life. It was determined that the attempt came from Iraqi operatives. Many DEMANDED a war against Iraq right then. Clinton dropped some bombs, and launched some cruise missiles, and Clinton diverted attention from the whole situation... by being Clinton.

So, Bush (who by the way CAMPAIGNED on a platform that included regime change in Iraq (which, by the way, Bill Clinton supported) decides the time was right for an invasion... Democrats (who supported war with Iraq just a few years earlier) now call Bush a "tyrant", and such...

Maybe you and I have different dictionaries... but that is called a double standard in mine.

Now comes Obama... pushing through a more than $1 TRILLION (by the way, money we don't have) spending package (remember, by the Dems OWN NUMBERS, only $240 BILLION of that is "tax relief") - that is $800 BILLION in government spending... Increasing the size of the government more than it has EVER been expanded in our history! This is what Bush was criticized for almost as much as the war! Again, a double standard. (by the way, what Obama is proposing in spending over the next 2 years is MORE than the entire war effort has cost to this day in 7 years!)

So, if there is hypocrisy, certainly you cannot put the blame squarely on one side!

The main difference, the detractors were not criticizing Bush, they were criticizing the war effort and the troops. There is a big difference. Nobody is criticizing the war, they are criticizing Obama for breaking yet another promise to his voters. The criticism is mainly to show how inept and unaware he was when he made those promises. Had the Democrats not been so eager to regain power, most of the fault finding would not have happened. Remember most of them also voted for the war, they also agreed with Clinton when he suggested that it would have to be done. You cannot save the Democrat savior from himself. In previous decades half of the Democrats would have been tried for treason because of the rhetoric against our troops, calling them thugs and baby killers. Nobody on the Republican side is engaged in giving aid and comfort to the enemy by cheap rhetoric as the Democrats did.

Democrats are just upset that republicans have taken apage out of their play book.

Isn't imitation the highest form of flattery--maybe that's it--reps admire the dems ability to whine and complain non-stop for 8years--and we thought we'd try it? Maybe it is the way to muscle politician's into action..but I'm just not sure if the action is positive.

Democrats are being rightfully crucified for this outrageous SPENDING SPREE they want Americans to agree to. Most of the Bill is Crap and only GIVES huge Millions to obama supports--PORK.

The little that is there to Actually encourage economic growth is poultry--and Independents and Republicans are smart enough to not be dazzled by the democratic elvis--we can see obama for what he is--

inexperienced--and immature--like he got daddy's check book and he can buy whatever he wants--"I'm rich, he yells." But he's forgotten it's MY TAXES PAYING FOR HIS BULLLLSHIIT welfare plan--to NOT STIMULATE THE economy.

Democrats and Republicans are just mere titles. If you want to know the truth, its just a title idiots mask themselfs behind to seem intelligent.

Hence, the truth is were really all a bunch of kids, giving 1 another thumbs up and downs based on your title, rather than if you preach truth.

Democrats aren't as smart as they think they are. Obama keeps preaching about the future yet wants to pass this stimulus band aid which will add to the deficit and put us into further economic turmoil in the future. It's time to balance the budget.

Hmmm...sorry but I've never noticed this. The Bush bashing went on for years but I never heard anyone say they were unpatriotic for it. I am seeing that right now though, actually.

Because democrats have been blaming Bush for everything from tooth decay to Katrina. But when faced with mistakes by their candidate within the first few weeks , they say give him a chance.

Talk about hypocrisy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• It is the duty of Americans to question their Govt., but they should do it with respect. Wasn't much respect toward the Bush Admin on Yahoo answers. No one is bashing President Obama like they did President Bush. Not even close.

I want to make sure you understand what we were saying then. My favorite thing to do is show you your own hypocrisy. Many of you misunderstand and think I believe the BS (from your own words) that I push back into your face.