Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Statutory rape, Ohio?

I'm looking in to the laws dealing with this topic for ohio. It specifies that its unlawful for someone 18+ to engage in sex acts with someone 16 and below but what if the offender is less than 18, well more like 17?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Direct from Ohio statutes:

2907.04 Unlawful sexual conduct with minor.

(A) No person who is eighteen years of age or older shall engage in sexual conduct with another, who is not the spouse of the offender, when the offender knows the other person is thirteen years of age or older but less than sixteen years of age, or the offender is reckless in that regard.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in divisions (B)(2), (3), and (4) of this section, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is a felony of the fourth degree.

(2) Except as otherwise provided in division (B)(4) of this section, if the offender is less than four years older than the other person, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in division (B)(4) of this section, if the offender is ten or more years older than the other person, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is a felony of the third degree.

(4) If the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of section 2907.02, 2907.03, or 2907.04 of the Revised Code or a violation of former section 2907.12 of the Revised Code, unlawful sexual conduct with a minor is a felony of the second degree.

Effective Date: 10-17-2000

Thus, if there is less than 4 years' age difference it is still a crime, but reduced to a misdemeanor. This is commonly referred to as Romeo and Juliet provision.

BTW, the statutes says UNDER 16 for felony. That means once 16, the person can consent.

Source(s): When in doubt, consult the statute. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2907
  • Sean
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I don't live in the US sorry, but I did research the answer for you but all I found was that the age of consent in Ohio is 16, so I imagine statutory rape is defined as sexual acts with someone under 16.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you're 17 and she's 16 I recommend keeping your lizard in its cage, however it is unlikely you will go to jail. If she is under 14, you will be registering as a sex offender for longer than you will physically be able to become aroused.

• 1 decade ago

stay away from kids.. unless your a kid.. good rule of thumb is make sure SHE"S older..

other helpfull tips include NO MEANS NO..

not saying YES means NO..

unless you have the permission given in public.. videotaped..signed and notarized.. yes means NO..

unless you can really really really trust this person..

ugh.. i'd stay away from kids tho.. even if i was a kid...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.