1. Severe malnutrition in children is associated
with increased susceptibility to infection, severe
illness, and higher mortality (20-30%).
2. Anemia contributes to the overall illness in such children
and very often the conditions leading to gastrointestinal blood loss remain undiagnosed, the management being correction of nutritional
3. Often, an attempt to diagnose conditions like GIT
polyps, colitis and diverticulitis, etc. is unyielding.
4. It is, therefore, necessary to identify the subset of
severely malnourished children with occult gastrointestinal blood loss.
5. This may even serve as an indicator to identify children at higher risk of mortality in this vulnerable group.
6. The diagnosis of severe acute malnutrition was based on estimation of weight for height.
(還有occult blood loss~這3字組合起來有什麼意思啊)
responsible for GI blood loss , as FOBT positivity
was uniformly observed in children on cow’s, breast
or formula milk. 不好意思還有1句.....3Q