Difference between an expensive HDMI cable & a cheap one?

What's the difference between the $7 12 foot HDMI cable I bought from eBay and this one? http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?produc... I mean, I thought a digital signal was "go or no go" meaning either it works perfectly or doesn't work at all. I use that $7 HDMI cable to connect my HD DVR to my $2000 Samsung 46" flat-panel and it seems to work just fine. Would I really notice a difference with a "better" cable? Reason I'm asking is because I'll be buying a blueray player or a PS3 in the near future and I'd like to get the most out of it. Thanx.

Favorite Answer

I have seen the same tv next to each other with two different HDMI cables. They looked exactly the same. I would stick with the cheaper one.

Source(s): I am a DTV field technician and supervisor

If you need a longer cable then quality starts to matter, but the specifications for that length do remain the same regardless of who makes it. But the quality of materials will make a difference with longer lengths, which is why the cost goes up dramatically for them. Go for the quality for over 25ft or the receiver may not last as long - the internal components work harder cleaning up the signal. You want one cable that handles the length - not anything else. Connecting two 25 ft HDMIs is a big mistake, for example. That would result in a poor signal quality and/or other problems. Whether you need Monster vs some other comparable brand is debatable.

I have seen the results of a couple of tests. Both indicate that monoprice cables and Monster cables performed identically up to 25 feet or so. So if you are running cables for 6 to 12 feet go with a $10 monoprice cable.

Get them here for $5 including shipping. They're the same thing, there is no difference.

http://www.cabletrain.com/cables/video-cables/hdmi...

The difference is that the better one or the (Monster Cable) is rated for higher speeds, Whats that mean.... Well your colors and sounds will show up better, Especially in 1080p stuff like blue ray