What Are Your Thought On Assisted Suicide?

If someone you loved was dying and in pain, would you kill them? Take them off life support, if they asked you? I don't know if I would, I think I would. I mean if your dog was hit by a car you would have him put down, people would call you inhumane if you let him suffer until he died. So if it is humane to put an animal to sleep, why is it considered inhumane to do so with a dying person, if they requested it. By the way, assisted suicide is illegal and will buy you jail time.

And I don't mean if a person is depressed, I mean if they are in pain and dying.

Favorite Answer

BTW, it isn't illegal everywhere. Physician assisted suicide for the terminally ill is legal in Oregon. As the baby boomer population ages, I imagine this practice will become more prevalent.

Extreme prolonged suffering is largely a side effect of modern medicine. We put feeding tubes and respirators and all sorts of things to keep people alive far longer than their bodies were prepared to. Through medicines and artificial nutrition we manage to delay the devastating effects of many diseases, but at what cost? The disease continues to progress while we mask symptoms or delay the inevitable, so oftentimes death becomes a more grueling and prolonged process than would naturally occur.

I'm saying all that to say this: I watched my Dad first, and then my Mom suffer TERRIBLY while they were given every means at the disposal of modern medicine to keep them alive.....it took my Mom three years to die, and it was a terrible heart wrenching process that I would not wish on a worst enemy. If we could have suspended the treatments which were prolonging her condition - if that is what she had wanted - then we would have done so gladly.

Does that constitute assisted suicide? After what I've witnessed in someone I love dearly, I don't think so.

But part of your question is would I personally participate in the death - no. I am not opposed to it where the patient (or the appointed durable power of attorney) makes the decision in accordance to the patient's beliefs and wishes.......but I think only a physician would have the knowledge and resources necessary to perform such an act. Not a family member or friend.....

It's also okay to tie your dog outside under a tree. Try that with a person and see what people think. I don't think you can always compare "nature" with humans (unless you don't believe in a hierarchy of creations. In which case, swatting a fly is equal to stepping on a human's head to kill him/her...)

Anyways, this is always a tricky question. I don't think I would do it. I wouldn't want to play God with my family's lives. Also, I think I tend to hold on to the notion that miracles can happen and I would be hopeful of something turning out... Even if I knew things wouldn't get better, though, I just don't think I would be able to live with myself knowing that I gave orders to kill someone.

(My answer is based on HOSPITAL assisted suicides. If you are talking about taking it into my own hands and actually killing them myself, then it's not even a tricky question: I'd NEVER do that!)

Montana? Figures... they look a really screwed up state. Do human beings have a suited to kill themselves? No. Abortion... distinct subject. well being care professional assisted suicide: that is adverse to the well being care professional's "vow" to do no damage. Kevorkian replaced into ruled "out of order," and that i agree. Have a blessed day.

I think assisted suicide should only be used in hospitals, obviously.

It should only be needed if they are a vegetable and have no hope for living. I probably wouldn't want to live if I couldn't move, talk, speak, eat or hear.

• Paul S

There's a time and place for it.

It should be done.. But during the process make the person as confordable as possible and only for terminaly ill people who are really sure.

I think people with AIDS need a lot of assistance.

It's not necessary... people should be able to do it themselves without assistance.

• prince

I think we should have it so it would be done right and that way you would not make your self worse