Should Obama be impeached for choosing Daschle to be health secretary while knowing he had evaded taxes?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Sidney
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You can't just impeach someone because you don't like him.

"The House of Representatives has voted to impeach two presidents -- Andrew Johnson, in 1868, and Bill Clinton, in 1999 -- but both were acquitted by the Senate and remained in office. No U.S. vice president has been impeached."

To be impeachable you have to do something illegal, such as lying to start a war, warrantless wiretapping and searches of Americans, allowing torture and rendition to countries where torture is legal (it isn't in the US.) or breaking into the opposing political party's headquarters.

President Obama did not committ an impeachable offense when he appointed a man who made an understandable mistake on his taxes.

"Other Democrats on the panel said that the tax error, while embarrassing, was understandable because Mr. Daschle had not been provided a 1099 Internal Revenue Service form showing the car as income.

Senator Kent Conrad, a North Dakota Democrat and a close friend of Mr. Daschle, said that he could not speak for Republicans, but that he felt sure Mr. Daschle had “convinced any fair-minded person” he was blameless.

I don’t know anyone more honorable, more decent, more honest and more qualified for this position,” said Mr. Conrad, a former state tax commissioner in North Dakota. “The only reason we know about these tax issues is that Senator Daschle came forward.”

"President Bush has admitted that he has authorized the use of surveillance upon American citizens and residents. He has argued that he has the authority to do so, that he has balanced the need to spy on us and our civil liberties. Unfortunately, his claims do not withstand scrutiny.

Firstly, the spying upon Americans without probable cause, due process and a warrant supported by evidence and sworn before a competent magistrate violates the 1st, 4th, 5th, 9th and 14th Amendments of the US Constitution. It is essential to the argument to understand that the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights does not create the rights of citizens, but places our government in the position of GUARANTEEING these inherent and INALIENABLE rights. Infringing upon these rights in any manner is unlawful, unconstitutional, immoral and evil.

The 1st Amendment guarantees our right to associate and communicate unimpeded by state and federal government. Merely communicating overseas is not grounds for monitoring, marking, flagging or otherwise recording the communications of US citizens. Current law allows for the presentation of evidence of criminal or terrorist activities as probable cause to issue a wiretap order. There is absolutely no legitimate reason for this administration to circumvent the rights guaranteed by this amendment.

The 4th Amendment guarantees the right to be secure against unreasonable searches and seizures. The US courts have held that a wiretap is an unreasonable search unless it is executed upon a valid warrant. The US congress has held such as being so unreasonable that it has passed the following laws that guarantee limits upon the execution of surveillance, investigation and record keeping by use of communication, telecommunication and records (including dossiers and case files):

- The Telecommunications Privacy Act of 1984 (TPA)

- The Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986

(ECPA)

- The Privacy Act of 1974

- The Wire And Electronic Communications Interception

And Interception Of Oral Communications

- The Wireless Telecommunications Privacy Act of 2000

- The Freedom of Information Act

So, not only has Mr. Bush violated the Constitution, his oath or office, but also (at a minimum) six federal laws. In so doing, he has violated his duties and obligations as the chief executive officer of this great nation and should be impeached. However, like his father before him, George W. Bush has wrapped himself in a cloak of patriotism, protectionism and fascism in the name of national interests and security.

He has lied, misled and/or relied upon inappropriate intelligence DATA to engage in an improper invasion of a sovereign nation, violated the UN Charter (which is part and parcel of our Constitution by law), has circumvented our fundamental rights, and portrays himself as our great protector. Mussolini, Hitler, Stalin, Franco, Khomeini, the Saudi Royal Family and the Taliban all made the same claims of protection, but even Mr. Bush has recognized their actions as contrary to fundamental liberties, democracy and basic human rights.

The 5th Amendment guarantees the right of due process. The acts of spying on American citizens and residents without application, review, approval and issuance of a warrant is, without a doubt, a complete negation and circumvention of due process. There can be no excuse for such an end-run around due process. Such circumvention of due process is a breach of the highest magnitude of our fundamental liberties.

The 9th Amendment limits all members of government, including the president, from exceeding the powers and authority provided by the Constitution. These limits include any and all efforts to usurp, circumvent and/or by-pass the rights of US citizens and residents. The 9th Amendment specifically reserves all rights not specifically assigned elsewhere to the state governments and the PEOPLE. Mr. Bush's claims that he has authority to spy upon US citizens and residents by virtue of an executive order betrays his "anything I want to do" agenda and his fascist demeanor.

The 14th Amendment, in the first section, applies all federal protections and obligations under the Constitution to state governments (equal protection) and specifically reasserts the obligation of due process."

• 4 years ago

Beyond the smoke screens the democrats will raise the taxes on the wealthest 1% of income earners. Not a good thing it reduce for wealther taxpayers to create jobs, but your mortgage is so high why did you get a mortgage you could not afford in the first place. Getting exotic mortgages with low intial payments when your income wont match the increase in payments is putting yourself in a situation that means foreclosure. Democrats will have a harder time raising taxes because of the fact the tax cuts work. Most likely they will nail Big Oil for not paying windfall taxes, and closing up looppoles of Bushes favorite groups. Keep all tax cuts, and reduce spending should be the goal of democrats thier lots of waste for corporations benefits that does not provide much if any benefit to the public.

• 1 decade ago

1. How is that an impeachable offence?

2. Daschle has never been charged with, let alone convicted of tax evasion - so your statement is not only wrong it is libelous.

3. You offer no evidence that Obama was vaguely aware of Dashle's tax situation. Was Obama his accountant?

• 1 decade ago

I'm not certain that it deems cries of impeachment, but it doesn't do much for his credibility. He made such a display of this "vetting" that he had to know, just as these people did. I mean if they could dig up that "Joe the Plumber" owed back taxes, surely the Obama team knew about these other clowns. Just another example of their hypocrisy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • NG
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

What are the grounds for impeachment? Have you studied them? I'm going to guess... no. You should learn a little about the government of the United States of America. I'm assuming you live there?

• 1 decade ago

Sure (I'm not the one saying this..pretend this is your conscience.) Impeach someone who was MAN enough to admit he made a mistake, even tho it was Daschele who stepped down and Obama did what a leader was supposed to do and take the blame, admit his mistake, which showed leadership. Sure! Let's impeach him! Yeah. Even tho we didn't dare impeach Bush for his multiple mistakes those 8 years and had the nerve to say he can't remember any mistakes he made. We can bring No Pain McCain and the Maverick to clean up Obama's first mistake on the 15th day. Yeah....that'll shut those liberals up. (Remember..it is not me who is speaking....I'm your conscience.) LOL! And to think I was sarcastic by saying this to somebody else because I knew somebody was going to bring this up.

• 1 decade ago

isn't it a bit early to speack of Impeachment??? Its remarks like this that make the free world think republicans are mean and hateful, And I know I am not.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ummm did we impeach Bush for his crimes against humanity and raping and robbing our country....No...so what would be the basis when the man accepted responsibility for something he didn't even do..this election reminds me of after the civil war how southerners couldn't get over the fact they lost...yeah....guess what my friends McCain lost..Obama is president...GET OVER IT!!! Let the man do his job.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If he was truly interested in "change" and transperancy - he should never have named Daschle or Killerer and he should now force Geithner to resign - if he doesn't he is going to be forever seen as corrupt, imho.

• momw
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

He is there to stay for at least four years, so get used to it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.