Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians, Was Jesus omniscient?

Jesus is supposed to be of one substance with the Father. That would seem to imply that Jesus shared all of the powers of the Father. If you attribute omniscience to the father then Jesus should have been omniscient. In fact, Jesus does appear omniscient at times. he foretells peter's denial, for example, and He challenges the group that were going to stone the prostitute by writing in the sand (presumably listing their shortcomings).

So here are my two questions. Why did Jesus say, in Mark 13:32, of the end of the world...

"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, NOR THE SON, but the Father alone."

Question 2...Can you only be a little omniscient? Jesus knew about Peter's denial but apparently doesn't know the time of the end of the world. I've heard it claimed that Jesus was able to isolate himself from knowing everything. Isn't this a load since if you have the power of omniscience for even a millisecond, then you should know everything. Was Jesus lying then about not knowing when the end would come?

Update:

Dolores, fine, but you didn't address the instances of Jesus' foreknowledge of events, of which I gave 2 examples.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

How could he be omniscient when he says, "Not even the Son of Man knows the hour of his return"? We both get the impression that the Bible itself seems to argue against Jesus being God. This question does not have a simple answer. After all, they strike at the very heart of the Incarnation, God becoming man, spirit taking on flesh, the infinite becoming finite, the eternal becoming time-bound. This is a doctrine that has kept theologians busy for quite centuries. Historically, there have been three approaches to this. For example, at the end of the last century, the great theologian Benjamin Warfield worked through the gospels and ascribed various bits to either Christ's humanity or to his deity. One solution is some form of kenosis, which means emptying. This spins out of Philippians 2, where Paul tells us that Jesus, "being in the form of God was some thing to be exploited" That's the way it should be translated. "but emptied himself." He became a nobody. What exactly did he empty himself of? That is the question. Through centuries, people have given various answers to that. For instance, did he empty himself of his deity? Well, then he would no longer be God. Did he empty himself of the attributes of his deity? I have a problem with that too, because it's difficult to separate attributes from reality. If you have an animal that looks like a horse, smells like a horse, walks like a horse, and has all the attributes of a horse, you've got a horse. So I don't know what it means for God to empty himself of his attributes and still be God. Some have said, "He didn't empty himself of his attributes, but he emptied himself of the use of his attributes." A self-limiting kind of thing. That's getting closer, although there are times when that was not what he was doing. He was forgiving sins the way only God can, which is an attribute to his deity. Others go further by saying, "He emptied himself of the independent use of his attributes." That is, he functioned like God when his heavenly Father gave him explicit sanction to do so. Now, that much closer. The difficulty is that there is a sense in which the eternal Son has always acted in line of the Father's commandments. You don't want to lose that, even in eternity past. But its getting closer. Strictly speaking, Philippians 2 doesn't tell us precisely what the eternal Son emptied himself of. He emptied himself; he became a nobody. Some kind of emptying is at issue, but lets be frank. You are talking about Incarnation, one of the central mysteries of Christian faith. You're dealing with formless, bodiless, omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent Spirit and finite, touchable, physical, time-bound creatures. For one to become the other inevitably binds you up in mysteries. So part of Christian theology has been concerned not with "explaining it all the way" but with trying to take biblical evidence and, retaining all of it fairly, find ways of synthesis that are rationally coherent, even if they're not exhaustively explanatory. That was a sophisticated way of saying that theologians can come up with explanations that seem to make sense, even though they might not be able to explain every nuance about the Incarnation. In a way, that seems logical. If the Incarnation is true, its not surprising that finite minds couldn't totally comprehend it. It seemed to me that some sort of voluntary emptying of Jesus' independent use of his attributes was reasonable in explaining why he generally didn't exhibit the the omnis within omniscience, omnipotence, and omnipresence. In his early existence, even though the New Testament clearly states that all these qualities are ultimately true of him. In John 16:30 the apostle John affirms of Jesus, "Now we can see that you know all things."

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Jesus is one with the Father. Jesus knows everything just as the Father knows everything, for they are one. Every single response here has misinterpreted scripture and some of them are in danger of hell because they deny that Jesus is God and even deny the Trinity which is clearly taught in Scripture.

The only reason Jesus didn't know everything while he walked on the earth was because of Philippians 2 verse 7, where it tells us that Jesus "made Himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men"

Clearly while he was on earth he limited his powers and knowledge, but after he returned to the Father he was no longer a servant to the Father. Colossians 1:16-17 speaks of Jesus when it says: "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist." If he is before all things and above all things, that would put him above the Father, but they are one so they are equal.

Revelation 22:12-13 "Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

Jesus is God. he's the creater, he's everlasting, he always existed, he always will. Submit to him now or you will bow your knee to him at the judgment seat when you die and be cast into hell. Mock it, disbelieve it, it's your choice but this is a warning from the very Creator Himself to all people. His mercy is great and although we deserve to be cast into hell already for our disobedience, he chose instead to save us through Jesus Christ by taking our punishment for anybody who is willing to trust that He is indeed a loving creator who longs to reveal himself to anybody who trusts Him.

• gina
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Jesus and God are not the same. There are certain things that his Father knew that he didn't know.He lived with his Father prior to his coming to the earth.

Colossians 1:16

There were certain things that Jesus Father did not permit him to do ,one of them is mentioned at Matthew 20:23

Another at

At Mark 13:32 He said only his Father knew this,the end and that was the truth.

Jesus always was in subjection to his Father.He always referred back to his Father just as we do to the scriptures.

He said my Father is greater than I am.

John 14:28

Another priviledge that his Father kept for himself was,that we pray directly to him,yes he wants to hear all of our prayers directly.

That is why we say:Through Jesus name when we finish our prayer.I think where the confusion comes in is the traditional thinking that Jesus is God.Jesus, is not God ,he is not a trinity the word is not even in the Bible.

The Bible does not teach religion the Bible it teaches the truth,men teach religion.

It is man's doctrines that has caused so much confusion,not the Bible.

John 8:32 Mark 7:13 Colossians 2:8

Exodus 6:3 Isaiah 12:2

Source(s): The Bible
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Even the Father only knows what is available for knowing. His ability has been uninterrupted. Jesus, on the other hand was unconscious (dead) for 3 days and 3 nights (from 14 Nisan (April 5) Wednesday evening to Saturday evening). He was killed at the same time the Jews were killing the Passover lambs. When he died, he knew nothing and had no consciousness. The Father, on the other hand, has never died.

The Father knows a million times more than we but He is not omniscient in the truest sense of the word. Nor is Jesus. But their project is coming along as planned.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Queston 1: He spoke as man. When he was a baby, for example, he didn't know yet he was the son of God. He got it along the time. But now he is glorified (Revelation 1) and in this condition he knows the time. Jesus as man is less than the Father (John 14:28) and the angels (Heb 2:9); as God he equal with the Father (1ºJohn 5:7; John 10:30; Mat 28:19).

Question 2: The answer above answers the second question.

• 1 decade ago

Jesus is at the right hand of God. Not God. The holy spirit is not ever personified at all nor given a personal name. The trinity seems a little off balance.

God is the Grand Creator and should only be seen as the Creator never a creation.

• 1 decade ago

Although God is all knowing Jesus was truly human! I believe that Jesus did not know He was God until the agony in the garden. Now i think though out Jesus's life that he was helped out a lot by God!

Also we KNOW that Jesus is perfect and never lied ONCE!!! So that must of meant he knew when the end of the world is coming! Maybe God told him, or maybe Jesus just had a vision! I don't know because i am not God. This is sort of one of the things we just kinda have to believe in.

• 1 decade ago

No, even the gospels say he wasn't (New American Standard Bible)

Matthew 26:39

And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will."

Mark 14:36

And He was saying, "Abba! Father! All things are possible for You; remove this cup from Me; yet not what I will, but what You will."

Luke 22:42

saying, "Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done."

If Jesus was omniscient, he would already have known what God's will was, and wouldn't have to ask.

• Rudy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

During His life on Earth, the divinity of Jesus was suspended and therefore He is like an ordinary man in term of absence of divine powers including omniscience. Everything Jesus knew, He knew as an ordinary man but aided by the Holy Spirit whose fullness He received in His baptism at Jordan river.

So theoretically, as ordinary man, we can do everything that Jesus did when we are in perfect conformity to the Holy Spirit.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You could manufacture a million of these questions trying to understand the mystery of the Trinity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.