Is there a difference between a "Writer" . "Author" . "Novelist" ?

Do they specialise is different syles of writing such as fiction, non fiction or reference?

Is there a rank and file? one of them holding greater esteem?

Thanks for your answers, im just curious.

Favorite Answer

There are different kinds of writers, like screen writers or playwrights. A "writer" could also be someone who writes but is not published.

An author is someone who had written (fiction or non-fiction) and been published. It could be a book, short story, or whatever, but it must be printed word (as opposed to a play which is meant to be performed and not read).

A novelist is someone who writes novels specifially.

I wouldn't say that one is necessarily held in greater esteem--although someone who prefers non-fiction would probably prefer to be seen as an author and not a novelist, which implies that the work is fiction (although that is not necessarily the case). I think the words are often used interchangably anyway.

• A writer does just that--writes. You don't have to be published to be a writer...you just have to have a hobby of writing.

An author is anyone who has a work of theirs published. It could be in a magazine, a book, anything.

A novelist is a published person who writes novels, although not always to make a living. (What I mean by this is that they may not make all their money from writing...they may have another career as well, such as teaching.)

None of these "titles" specialise in any certain genre. You could say that authors and novelists are higher up on the scale since they're published and make money from their work, but I personally don't think it matters as long as you're a good writer.

I think ...

A writer is anyone who writes. You are a writer even if you keep a diary nobody reads. You may even be a writer just by posting this question.

An author is a person who writes and publishes their work (or has done so in the past)

A novelist is an author who writes novels specifically, not short stories or magazine articles, etc.

A writer i see as someone who writes in any genre, and in any form (poem, free write, short story, musical lyrics)

An author i see as a writer of fictional stories, short or long.

Novelist is an author of long fictional stories.

so that would make a novelist a writer and author, and an author a writer.

A writer is anyone who writes... anything...

An author is someone who has been published (not online or in blogs)

A novelist is someone who has been published several times, and the novel is their preferred medium.

Esteem?? I have no idea. It's how you think about yourself that matters, not how others see you. Like a lot of professions, it can be very political. Especially when it comes to awards.

I believe (please, stress the "believe" I'm not positive) that there is a slight difference.

Writer, of course, can apply to really any style of writing. Books, magazine articles, speeches.

Author is most commonly reserved for those who writes books but I guess you could always call someone who writes essays a writer, too. Author can be for fiction or non-fiction, it doesn't matter.

As for novelist, my guess would be it's only used for a person who writes novels.

Hope this helped!

:)

a writer is just someone who writes a few little books, a author is someone who has had those books published and a novelist is someone who writes massive novels/ theres no difference in genres to the writing. and ild say it would go in rank order novelist=author then a writer :)

No, there is no difference between a writer, a novelist, or an author.

Hope I helped!

Source(s): My own brain o-0

there is not much difference between writer and author as it basically means a person who composes literary work, though for me (personally) I usually associate author with being published whereas a writer might or might not have published works.

novelist is just someone who writes novels.

A writer is any one who writes, they don't necessarily have any of their work published.

Authors on the other hand, do have some of their work published. They can have published stories,books, or poems.

And novelist write books, that's it. They have published (a) book(s).