How many cities are in the USA?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A city can be defined as an area which is the hub of economic as well as administrative activities supporting a large population involved in various business and industrial occupations. Though in the United States a number of places having a relatively low population and distinctly rural in character are classified as cities.

If population is considered as the sole criterion and the minimum number of persons for a place to be designated as a city is considered to be 200,000 then there are about 95 cities in the United States. Today there are about 800 places in the United States which are listed as cities in varying degrees from population and median household income to property rates and literacy being some of the parameters used for designating a place as a city.

On a global scale there are 10 cities in the United States with a population of more than a million people among which New York occupies first place with a population of 8 million people excluding the metropolitan areas. The major concentration of population is in the eastern part of the country and the states of California and Texas and it is in these regions primarily that one finds a number of urban areas.

The major cities in the United States may be listed as follows:

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago

4. Houston

5. Philadelphia

6. San Francisco

7. Miami

8. Washington DC

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

i could pretty recommend the Pacific North West. Any of the two San Fransisco, Portland or Seattle. i've got no longer been to SF, yet heard super issues. additionally that that's costly. Portland is a very cool smaller city with relatively some super attractions and quite low priced. regrettably the activity industry is somewhat saturated for contemporary grads. Seattle is likewise a very cool city with a super way of life. i do no longer understand the way it compares to NYC even even though it struck me as somewhat costly there. In Ballard (that's a in demand community now) a low priced studio is going around $800. sturdy success.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.