Microsoft Excel - Extracting data from a table?

I have a table in excel which has 4 columns with various details. The 1st column is date and goes from April 07 - March 08, column 4 is an amount (columns 2+3 are not applicable for what i want to do. What i want to do is have a formula which works out the total of column 4 for a specific date range (e.g total for... show more I have a table in excel which has 4 columns with various details.
The 1st column is date and goes from April 07 - March 08, column 4 is an amount (columns 2+3 are not applicable for what i want to do. What i want to do is have a formula which works out the total of column 4 for a specific date range (e.g total for april, may, etc) however i am stuck and do not want to have to filter for the specific dates each time. Does anybody know of a formula that i can put in which works out the total if i include the specific date ranges?