Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 decade ago

starting a cleaning business?

I need advice..........

I have wanted to do this for some time now. I have gone back and forth between starting my business and feeling im not going to be successful with it. mainly because I don't know much on how to get clients. So my questions are.........

1) How do I do this legally?

2) What forms should I fill out?

3) any advice?

4) How should I advertise?

5) How do you cold call people?

Favorite Answer

Hi,

I have been cleaning Residential Homes for a little over 20 years. It is alot of hard work, you have to pay attention to details etc. but is one of the best jobs for working at home and if you need flexibility.

1. Consider yourself an "Independent Contractor. Clients will look at you more as a professional (ex. plumbers, builders etc), than someone that charges by the hour.

2. If you plan on making your Business grow with employees, etc. you will need to become bonded and have a business license.

I work by myself, though, and take care of my own taxes etc. Have not had any major problems and this has worked for me.

3. The best "advertising" is word of mouth, but first you need to get that first client, of course. Put up flyers in grocery stores, etc in the areas you would like to work in. Talk to friends or family if they know of anyone interested. You can, also, advertise on CraigsList.org. for free.

When I first started, I put flyers in many, many post office boxes in our area. (I live in the country) Unfortunately, this did not work for me. People are funny about that. The flyer in the stores etc. worked very well. But again, my best clients have come from word of mouth.

I wish you the very best of luck in this business. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

GOOD LUCK!

Sue

A cleaning business-whether residential or office-is a terrific way to have a stable income. And you're smart to investigate before you try and get clients!

Here's some beginning steps:

1. Check with your city or county clerk's office to see if you need a business license or fictitious name license. These are inexpensive ($25-$50) and usually last 3 or more years. You don't really need this in the beginning (unless there is some type of mandatory ordinance or something). You'll need, though, if you wish to open a business bank account;

2. Then, call around to insurance companies and compare prices for liability insurance (sometimes called bond). This protects you if something breaks or gets damaged while you're on the job. And, yes, sometimes you didn't do it, but with this you can keep a client! AND, when you can say to potential clients, "I have liability insurance" it not only makes you professional, but adds confidence. It shouldn't cost more than around $100-$300/yr for $100K coverage (you don't need more than that for now) HINT: if you're going to do office cleaning, ask them who they use or if you could do a bid;

3. Call existing cleaning companies, pretend to be a potential customer, to find out the going rates and services provided;

4. NOW, make a nice flier and/or introductory letter about your service and start knockin' on doors, so to speak! Dress nice, maybe have a t-shirt made up with your company name and/or logo at Cafepress.com, too. Think about magnetic signs and/or a vinyl wrap for your vehicle. Think about parking your vehicle in areas where you wish to find business and in high traffic locations-street intersections, parking lots, etc;

5. And spend less than $39 on a business cleaning kit (less than that for a residential cleaning kit!) that will give you the basic contracts, forms for estimates, pricing charts and book-keeping, intro letters, supply list and resources, customer leads and other valuable tips. It will save you time and money in the long run!

This is a general start. There is lots of information available for you below......