Blue scape asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Why use cycling shoes? whats the benefit of them?

I recently started cycling and currently only use my trainers when riding, but i'm wondering about getting myself some cycling shoes and want to know why it is better to wear them instead of trainers...

Favorite Answer

Cycling shoes have a stiff sole ~ they don't allow your feet to bend while pedaling.

The reason for this is so that more of your leg power is applied directly to the pedals instead of being absorbed in the flexing of your feet ~ which contributes to rider fatigue.

Cycling shoes also have a place where a cleat can be screwed to the bottom of the shoe that engages with a clipless pedal. The word "clipless" is kind of an oxymoron considering that you're actually clipped into the pedal. I think the name is in reference to the old toe clip method...

Anyway, clipless is good. You will be able to apply power to the pedals throughout the enire pedal stroke instead of just mashing down on them. If you ever go mountain biking, clipless pedals also keep your feet on the pedals in rough terrain.

No matter what your riding style is, cycling shoes will help you ~ especially if you go to clipless. Once you get used to them you will never want to ride without them again. I guarantee it.

• lodi

Benefits Of Cycling Shoes

Good cycling shoes have a very stiff sole, which allows you to pedal hard without having the pedal dig into the sloe of your shoe causing discomfort. In addition, the shoes have mounting points for cleats which clip into clipless pedals so that your feet are attached to the pedal allowing you to apply power through the full cycling motion. For comfort and power transfer, cycling shoes are the way to go.

By wearing cycling shoes you will be able to develop a better peddaling motion, especially at high cadence as your foot will be both pushing and pulling. When you are climbing or out of the saddle you will notice the advantage of pulling on the peddle and will ride stronger.

There are such a huge range of peddles on the market at the moment but I would personally go for 'look' or 'SPD' cleats. Make sure you practace clipping in and out a couple of times before you head out on the road as it takes some getting use to.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): cycling shoes whats benefit them: https://tinyurl.im/FVe5f

First and main reason: Safety. Once you connect that pedal to cleats you are connected as part of your bicycle(You go no where). Second clipless shoes are very stiff and strong to support a person pedal strength or movement. They are made of either stiff leather or plastic which takes sometime getting use to(Walk around in them for couple of days to get use to them). Special cycling shoes will help you increase your pedaling efficiency and will keep you riding more and more.

I swear by mine & I ride 5000 miles a year.

Source(s): Racer Cat 5 Road, Cat 4 Cyclocross, Bike tourer, and avid club rider. Cyclist 30 years

Cycling shoes allow you to clip into the pedal and allow you to utilize the other muscles in your leg that you normally can't use. They will allow you to pull up on the back stroke and push at the top and pull on the bottom. It makes a big difference.

• Ed H

Cycling shoes have a clipping in method so your shoe attaches to the pedal. This means you can use your muscles to their full extent as normally on a bike without clips you push down on both legs which brings the other leg up but with clips you push down on one foot and pull up on the other. This is useful for sprint starts as you have to pull up and push down really hard in order to get going faster.

Shoes will improve your speed and your muscles will grow as you will work your legs harder.