Can turtles come out of their shell?!?

I was just wondering, do turtles come out of their shell? Like actually come out, or are the shells connected to their bodies?

Update:

Don't worry I don't have a turtle as a pet =) I was just curious

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

there shells are connected to their body...it was funny because i wondered that too until i found an empty shell and inside there were rib looking bones and still some skin attached to the shell...oh and i learned that they grow with the shell=]

• 4 years ago

turtles are insecure animals and need a place to hide otherwise they become unhealthy due to stress. its a common misconception that turtles are low maintenance pets. turtles require a day/night cycle. they require clear separation between dry land and water, because they are cold blooded creatures. they go in the water when they are hot and come out when they are cold. they require heat lamps to stay warm outside of the water. they require filtration to keep their water clean. in the wild this isnt a big problem but in a tank it is, their swimming water is also their drinking water. if you have a high volume tank, your water will need a heater to maintain temperature. and most importantly they require a cave or a log or something in the water to hide. preventing your turtle from hiding is extremely unhealthy for your pet. your turtle is only insecure because his environment is not suited for him. if you provide an adequate habitat for him he should be confident enough to stick his head out more often. you should NEVER glue ANYTHING to a living animal. also, wash your hands after handling your turtle, they are covered in salmonella.

• 1 decade ago

Only to make turtle soup. The shell is the bones for a turtle.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No they don't ever come out of their shells.They are actually attached to their shells.

Source(s): 22yrs hands on experience with reptiles
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They do not come out of their shells.

• 1 decade ago

Yes that's how they change into their Ninja Shells.

• 1 decade ago

no, turtles cannot because their spine and ribs are fused together that make up the shows.

• 1 decade ago

Their shell is connected to their bodies, their shell is their spine. And inside are all their intestines and all that.

• 1 decade ago

no they cannot come out of their shell it is part of their body and is attached to their skin they would die if you took it off them

• 1 decade ago

they can't because their bodies are attached to their shells

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.