Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

What is a good gaming computer for a lowish price?

I know gaming computers are NOT cheap, but I'm new to gaming computers (seeing as how I've always gamed on my regular computer) and am looking to get a gaming computer. The new computers just can't take the gaming anymore and I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on buying a gaming computer (e.g. system requirements, low prices, brands, good quality, etc).

I play games like:

The Sims2

Spore

WoW

4 Answers

Relevance
  • DKHM
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Don't listen to those guys, sister. You can build a PC. It's not that hard. You can reuse many of the parts you already have (hard drive, network card, optical drives). You'll save money and you'll have the best gaming PC for your needs.

For a computer at this level, it shouldn't cost you more than $1200 to build your own, assuming you're reusing some parts. And you'll have a better PC than what you can buy for that money.

For what you're looking at playing, I'd recommend that you focus on the statistics you need for World of Warcraft. It is the most advanced game with the most stringent requirements. Here they are:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?article...

Use a video card actually mentioned by name in the requirements. And DO NOT use a version of Direct X higher or lower than the one needed by your game. In this case, DX9.

That means, you need Windows XP, because Windows Vista would force you to use DX 10. Which might work, but it would probably be buggy for the older games, especially Sims 2.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTool...

I know it's expensive, but i highly recommend you buy the full version, and single-user license of Windows XP. "Single user" will allow you to install that copy of Windows on whatever machine you're using right now because it's licensed to YOU not the machine. OEM means it's licensed to the machine, not to you, and once you install it, you can't install it someplace else. You can use the Single-user XP as a basis for an upgrade later on if you want also.

Once you have one part, such as the video card, decided upon, everything else falls into place (because the card will be either PCI-e or AGP or PCI, which will force certain choices in motherboard. Also your requirements will force a certain choice in processor, which will force you to choose a socket 775 type motherboard. So that will narrow the choices down too.

Building a PC is just a matter of weeding out the things you don't need, and choosing among the those that are left. Usually only one or two choices are left once you've got your requirements.

As far as hard drives. You can just use the one you have. But this is what I recommend: Get an external USB hard drive. Put all your data on it from your old PC. And then find out what your hard drive's speed is. If it's anything lower than 7200 rpm, then maybe think about getting a new hard drive. Hard drive speeds make a difference in games.

As for the USB hard drive, use it to make easy backups of your data from now on. You won't have to worry about a crash anymore because your data will be safe. Just find out where your game saves are and make sure you include that in your backups. You don't have to be a genius to see how valuable that is.

• 1 decade ago

It really depends a lot on what kind of games you play and whether you want to build your own system. I presume you don't have the experience to build your own (which is by far the cheapest means and also allows for upgrades down the road) so you'll have to by from a retailer. From experience the best/cheapest rigs come from Dell. Since your games are not extremely graphics intensive you won't need to spend much. A good dual core, maybe the Core 2 Duo E7300, 3 GB RAM and a low-end videocard like the Geforce 8600GT or ATI 3450 should suffice. You can put these together in a Dell Inspiron build at their website.

I would like to add that the answer beneath mine is nonsense. First, not everyone can just go out and build a computer, oftentimes putting the pieces together is the easiest part. The difficulty is knowing what parts you need (its like a puzzle) not every part works with another and how to troubleshoot when things don't work right at first for they rarely do.

Also, the ranting about which windows you need is ridiculous, all the games you mention, as with any game made after 2003 works perfectly with Vista and directx is not an issue ever, just update when you need to.

DON'T ever use a USB harddrive as your primary drive, they are much more prone to failure and are not designed to be used as extensively as an internal drive.

Actually, please just don't read that answer. I have 15 years of PC building experience and they're obviously incompetent.

If you really want to try building one yourself consult the forums at www.tomshardware.com extensively. There are many people there who will help you every step of the way and they are much more knowledgeable than folks around here.

Also, for those games have these as parts as a minimum.

Dual core processor (AMD 64x2 4000+ or better, or a Intel Core 2 Duo E5400)

PCI express videocard with at least 256MB memory (Nvidia GeForce 8600GT or ATI X1650) DO NOT use AGP cards.

1-2GB RAM for XP or 3GB for Vista

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Cyberpower does a decent job at building "budget gaming" computers. The builds are not the highest quality - you will get things like dual-channel ram installed in the wrong slots or low-quality power supplies and cases. Overall not a bad way to go.

Ultimately it is better if you price and build your own - If you have the time and are willing to learn you will save yourself some money.

• 3 years ago

My buddy you will no longer get any solid pc for 6 hundred earnings step with danger a dell i5 or i4 yet they suck you opt to spend around 800 money if u opt to play severe call for video games u will choose i7 processor

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.