Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 decade ago

are the christian worthies true historical figures - King Arthur, Charlemange, and Godfrey of Bouillon?

these are the 9 worthies

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Charlemagne is a real historical figure (AD742-814, King of the Franks and ruler of a pretty big chunk of Western Europe)

Godfrey de Bouillon (c1060-1100) is also a real historical figure, being one of the leaders of the First Crusade, and first 'King of Jerusalem'.

King Arthur is another matter.

You have to dismiss about 90% of what has been written about him to find the truth. Forget Mallory and Chretien de Troyes. Forget John Boorman's 'Excalibur'. Forget 'The Sword in the Stone', 'Monty Pythons Quest for the Holy Grail' and the bodies found at Glastonbury Abbey (conveniently, just after a major fire when the monks needed money for rebuilding, and a new attraction for paying visitors would have been very useful).

There probably was a war leader of this (or similar name) living in the 500s-600s AD, fighting the Saxon invaders, and possibly ruling part of Britain, but the documentary and archaeological evidence is pretty thin. He may have been a real historical figure, but a very ephemeral and shadowy one compared to the two I've already mentioned.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

There are nine worthies, and the people who wrote about them took them to be historical figures, while King Arthur who lived in the Dark Ages (right at the START of the Dark Ages) exists as a legendary figure who may or may not have lived as he is said to have. Charlemagne (not Charlemange) and Godfrey of Bouillon are people who left historical records and artifacts. Hector, David, Judas Maccabeus and Joshua are in essence one sourced heroes.

King Arthur comes from folklore and from Minstrels like Wolfram von Eschenbach or Christian des Troyes who may not be the most reliable sources, as well as Geoffrey of Monmouth who in redacting the legends apparently created Merlin Ambrosius by combining Aurelianus Ambrosius who lived in Arthur's time with Myrddin Wylts who lived a hundred years later. Of all the nine heroes his historiocity is the most open to question.

• 4 years ago

I easily have by no skill seen a Christian being terrible to somebody that replaced into gay, the bible tells us in any different case; yet thats beside the element. If somebody you comprehend is a Christian comes up and starts putting you down, you ask him what might Jesus do. I easily have wide-unfold Christian that struggled or do conflict with this. They love the Lord, and comprehend him as their savior, and pray that issues will substitute for them. except you're gay for interest, it quite is a few thing that has come across you, you won't be able to do something approximately it, only like whilst somebody dies or you do some thing incorrect, it is not on purpose, you ought to no longer help it. i think it quite is incorrect to contemplate people who're gay a lesser indavidual, or any much less significant then a fellow Christian. And just to allow you to comprehend, i replaced into asked the question, if there replaced right into a Christian and a house asexual, and you probably did no longer comprehend the two of them, and you had to chosen one to stay and one to die, which one might you chosen. I chosen the homestead asexual everytime. because of the fact i comprehend my fellow Christians are waiting for loss of life because of the fact they comprehend its the begining of a few thing extra beneficial. And on the different hand, i don't comprehend what the different guy might think of.

• 1 decade ago

Charlemagne was a real person, it is believed that perhaps Arthur was a roman, and Godfrey of Bouillon was a real person

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.