how do you measure AUTHORITY from a rifle at long ranges? ?

I recently fell in love with a ,243 that was willed to me. It strait reaches out an touches the exact spot I point it. At extreme ranges. 750 yards plus. However I am used to shooting my .30/06 and I am concerned about the knock down ability. Chronys work for speed but how does one gauge knock down power?

Favorite Answer

1. The .243 is well known as a great long range cartridge, and making 750 yard shots at targets is fun. If a .308, the standard military sniper rifle shoots that far, and it does, I don't understand why some people would think a necked down .308, which is what the .243 is, would not shoot as far.

2. No one other than a military sniper needs to worry about knockdown power at that range. With a bullet drop of over 30" and possible drift of that much as well, it is unethical to try to shoot an animal at that range with any gun.

You would look at the kinetic energy of the bullet at distance. Take a look at Remington's Ammo page and you can compare different bullets and get the energy as well as speed and drop at various distances.

Comparing a 100gr .243 against a 150gr 30-06, both soft points, shows that the .243 is still traveling 150fps faster at 500 yards than the '06 but will deliver 170 ft lbs less energy. The 30-06 will have dropped 5 inches further as well. This is all at 500 yards...add another 200 yards to it and the differences will be much more pronounced.

The .243 is capable of shoots to 1000 yards and has won nation shooting events. That isn't the same as ethical hunting big game like deer or antelope. Ethical range would be 350-400 yards with a 243 because it just doesn't carry enough energy down range for an humane kill. Coyotes and chucks out to 500 yards if you have to, but that is really stretching the term "hunting".

If you know the weight of the bullet, its ballistic coefficient, its muzzle velocity, the air density and a few other variables, there are published tables that will give you the kinetic energy at the various distances. Kinetic energy can give you a pretty good idea of the knock down power at these ranges. A .243 is not a 750 yard rifle. The bullet will go that far but it will have very little kinetic energy left at that range. Let me recommend a good book that will help you understand exterior ballistics. The book is "Understanding Firearm Ballistics" by Robert A. Rinker. It is a book that makes understanding exterior ballistics within the reach of the average shooter if he is willing to give it a bit of careful study. Rinker also tells you in chapter 26 how to calculate Hatcher's formula for calculating the stopping power of a bullet. It is too involved for me to reproduce here. However, it is not difficult to understand nor to calculate. It also goes into the relative incapacitation index and the vulnerability index. It is an excellent book and very interesting. I recommend that you see if your library can get a copy for you on interlibrary loan if it is not on their shelves.

By the way, a quick and dirty way of calculating the kinetic energy of a bullet is to square the velocity of the bullet in feet per second at any given distance at which you want to know the kinetic energy. Multiply this number by the weight of the bullet in grains. Take this number and divide it by 450,400. This will give you the kinetic energy in foot pounds. You will be multiplying and dividing some pretty big numbers so you will need a calculator that can handle numbers that big.

The 243 is an excellent long range Target caliber, with a very large choice of bullet weights and loads to choose from; 58,70,75,80,87,90,95,105, 108 and 115 grain bullets.* Using a .585 BC 115 grain with a muzzle velocity of 3,150 should be up to the task on Deer.* Always aim for the Heart & Lung area.* A 243 rivals a 6.5-284 ballistically out to 1,000 yards.* As a tactical round the 243 is one of the best, with excellent ballistics.* The versatile " little brother " of the .308 Winchester is a true triple threat as a Match cartridge, varmint cartridge, and game cartridge.* Knock-down power is measured from the mass or weight of the bullet combined with the feet per second from the muzzle to the distance, or point of impact referred to as Foot Lbs. of Energy.*

Source(s): Run like a Deer.*..............Fly like an Eagle.*~~

a 243 at 750 yds ? Love so see this !

750 yards, plus? a .243? i wanna see you do that!