Dan Rooney Obama Comment?

When my family and I were celebrating the Steelers' victory over the Cardinals we watched Dan Rooney hoist the Lombardi trophy and we also listened to him thank President Obama. My entire family just did a double-take and thought "Did he really just say that?". I mean come on, it was right after the... show more When my family and I were celebrating the Steelers' victory over the Cardinals we watched Dan Rooney hoist the Lombardi trophy and we also listened to him thank President Obama. My entire family just did a double-take and thought "Did he really just say that?". I mean come on, it was right after the Super Bowl and he thanked the uninvolved President before he even thanked the hard work of the players and coaching staff. He just couldn't wait to get that comment out. I love the Rooney family but it was honestly painful for me to see Dan Rooney get sold out like that.

Do you think his comment was really necessary at that point in time???
Update: I understand he was a supporter and it would be nice to thank him for all of his support, however was that really the first person on Dan Rooney's list of people to acknowledge because it was the first thing he mentioned which I believe was strictly an embarrassing political move.