Dyslexic features and asperger's syndrome?

My son was recently evaluated for dyslexia he is 8. He has carried a PDD.NOS, ADD.NOS, dysgraphia dx for some time. The evaluator an optometrist said that my son has features of dyslexia, dyslexia being a specific reading disability and though my son has features of it with a severely impaired encoding problem,... show more My son was recently evaluated for dyslexia he is 8. He has carried a PDD.NOS, ADD.NOS, dysgraphia dx for some time. The evaluator an optometrist said that my son has features of dyslexia, dyslexia being a specific reading disability and though my son has features of it with a severely impaired encoding problem, and poor working memory, and eye focusing/teaming problems, that he doesn't fit the dx because his decoding is low, but not that impaired (though psych eval revealed that decoding was very impaired) and because his IQ is below average. The conclusion is that my son needs vision therapy, and was given dx of asperger's, dysgraphia, and a reading disability. Interestingly the optometrist told me that a person can't be dyslexic and asperger's, yet I've been dx both of these by the same person many times over. Does anybody have or know of a person dx with both dyslexia and asperger's syndrome? Can anybody cleary explain why these can't go together? I asked the optometrist and he talked in circles, honestly he was sounding more asperger than myself at that moment. Where do we fit? Just NOS of all dx's?
Update: He is an O.D. specifically trained for dyslexia. He reports diplopia (double vision) and an ocular motor disorder, he had the King Devick test and visagraph III. His reading is charachterized by multiple fixations, backtracking, and binocular disorder. He is deficient in eyefocusing, eyeteaming and tracking... show more He is an O.D. specifically trained for dyslexia. He reports diplopia (double vision) and an ocular motor disorder, he had the King Devick test and visagraph III. His reading is charachterized by multiple fixations, backtracking, and binocular disorder. He is deficient in eyefocusing, eyeteaming and tracking skills. He has been screened by Irlen diagnostician and has severe SSS.
visual processing results-deficiencies:
Beery-VMI 1st percentile of age level
TVPS-visual memory-1st percentile
TVPS-visual closure-1st percentile
TVPS-form constancy-16th percentile
WPM-56, norm 138
fixations-209 over 200 sig.
regressions 71-grade norm 52
duration of fixation-.49 grade level norm .28
Update 2: He said that what dyslexia is to him is a decoding problem, encoding problem, eye problem and a minimum IQ in the average range. He said my son doesn't qualify because his IQ is two points shy of minimum 83, and his decoding score passed, but it passed with the minimum of 70, his school psych, the decoding... show more He said that what dyslexia is to him is a decoding problem, encoding problem, eye problem and a minimum IQ in the average range. He said my son doesn't qualify because his IQ is two points shy of minimum 83, and his decoding score passed, but it passed with the minimum of 70, his school psych, the decoding score was very low. He is the only optometrist currently dx dyslexia in our state (DE). Then he proceeded to tell me that I am not really dyslexic because my spelling isn't bad enough. He said it more technical saying that my encoding problem isn't significant so I don't meet the criteria for dyslexia, a dx I have gotten 7x over the past 30 years, but he agreed with my asperger dx especially because I have all the signs with the chronic dry eye, photophobia, allergies, learning disability etc.
Update 3: I've also been screened for Irlen syndrome, it came up severe.