IS SKIN BLEACHING GOOD?

I seen this stuff on the Tyra Banks show and they had all these ladies that were insecure about their dark skin color, so they use bleaching creams to make their skin lighter they even bleach their kids which I think is beyond stupid. They said if their lighter then they will have a better life or something stupid but anyways I looked in the mirror after I washed my face last night an im seeing that being in the sun so much over the summer, im at least two shades darker than I used to/should be. I HATE THAT im only 16 so im not sure if its cool for me to do that. My question is what are the health risks of doing so? Should I go for it or jus let my skin be as is?

THIS QUESTION WAS NOT ABOUT RACE OR ME WANTING TO BE WHITE OR ANYTHING. I WAS ALWAYS LIGHTSKIN AS A AFRICAN AMERICAN GIRL AND I JUS WANNA GET BACC TO MY NORMAL LIGHT SKIN COLOR. YU GUYS TOOK MY QUESTION TOOOOOO DEEP

Favorite Answer

You can get the results you want without harming your health with bleach creams. There are a lot of creams out there with hydroquinone which is a well known skin lightener. After years of research, it has been proven to cause harm to your health. Look it up if you don't believe me. Don't just take my word for it. A natural way to lighten your skin especially from sun exposure is to exfoliate it. Try using the face wash cloths from Oil of Olay, Neutrogena, Dove, etc. They are all the same and serve the same purpose. Use it in the morning and at night and be sure not to overscrub and hurt your skin. Use Aveeno Skin Brightening Moisturizer with SPF 15 or 30 after every wash. Your skin will shine from it's restored health. If you have hair on your face, remove it will a depilatory cream every 2 weeks or so. Sally Hansen makes a good one. Clean, hair free facial skin will appear lighter, healthy and clean. Remember, never compromise your health for beauty. There are always risks associated with these quick fix solutions. Hope this helps you and best of luck.

If it's NOT natural than it's NOT safe! You were born with your skin color for a reason, it's genetics. It's ridiculous to try and change it. It's not your fault you have that skin color, it's the OTHER people that need to change how they treat others like you! I see too many people who are mean towards the other races and it's them being ignorant! They are afraid of what they don't understand! It doesn't matter what color your skin is, you're still human. That's what a lot of them don't understand. If they did change then the world would be more accepting.

• Jamie

Regardless of what people/media say white beauty always has and always will be considered "the most beautiful." It is all around us. White girls with tans are NOT the same color or skin texture as a naturally darker skinned person. It looks like a tan not a natural skin tone. The girl will still look white and her skin tone will appear more sun kissed (though I see a lot with hideous leather face skin and orange glow..yuck) A person who bleaches their skin is seen as self hating because they are trying to make them self closer to the beauty ideal. Or as some think molding themselves after the white beauty and trying to erase their own ethnicity. People have always suffered for beauty. Skin color is an obvious indication of ethnic background. The darker the skin the "less beautiful." This is what is seen not only in white culture, but ethnic culture. Blacks, hispanics and asians view lighter skin as more beautiful. I am latina and can tell you all my latin family members want lighter skin, not darker. Lighter girls are seen as better looking even when they are not facially. Tanning is only popular in certain western cultures and it is not meant to look "ethnic", but exotic. The color of tanned skin is usually even something any girl with darker pigment will tell you is just not true. I don't think it is a matter of harm to the body as much as it is something that makes a woman feel more beautiful.

You should read Laura Jefferson’s book "Skin Whitening At Home" ( I saw it's also available in electronic format +video: http://www.skinwhiteningathome.com ). After 8 weeks I managed to get my skin a few tones whiter and I also got rid of freckles.

The method she teaches in her book is natural, inexpensive, and is readily available in most homes. You could even find some ingredients in your own backyard. The most wonderful thing about the method she shares in her book is that it will help you whiten or lighten your skin pigmentations, freckles, age spots, acne marks, dark underarms, melasma, or your overall skin color easily and naturally without breaking your bank or producing dangerous side effects. Good Luck!

well,,I was hiding from the sun for 3 or 4 years because I wanted to be pale as vampire [my skin is naturally a bit darker] because I was a fan of gothic culture, so I was still wearing black scarves around my neck and umbrellas and I really was very pale,, how stupid I was,,I was looking really terrible, like a corpse or something and this summer I started sunbathing again and I fell so much better and I also looked much better everyone told me!! now I can't wait to get some sun in summer again,,because this is how I am,,You should be lucky,, lot of my friends keep complaining about their natural pale skin

• Tom R

michael jackson bleached his skin because of a skin condition that caused parts of his skin to lose pigment. . basically white spots. if you have a condition like that it could be okay. your better off liking who you are. at 16 your skin is the envy of every older woman be happy. in two years your 18 then comes college woo hoo!!!

Ooh no way avoid skin bleaching at all costs!! why change the physical qualities you were born with???

it'd look weird and unattractive

wow, really? If it's just a tan, stay out of the sun for a bit, it will go away all on its own... But hey, if you wanna get made fun of hardcore for probably the rest of your teenage years then go ahead.. Bleach it.. But it's seriously a dumb idea

Don't be a Michael Jackson.

The irony is white chicks like me want to be browner. People with curly hair want it straight, etc, etc.

Just be happy with what you've got. Where's the shame in being dark?

Skin bleaching is unhealthy and stupid. It means you are insecure in who you are.