Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

If you write "Do Not Bend" on a letter, is the U S Postal Service obligated to follow your instructions?

I want to mail a 45 rpm record, and I am wondering if it will arrive safely.

Favorite Answer

No protect the item by placing stiff cardboard in with the item. May cost more to mail it but it will be worth it. Remember Postal Employees are people to. They are not Gods although most of them think they are. Actually they are Overpaid Babies that whine and cry over anything.

Pony Express Worked The Best.

• kiwi

I would put it in a very padded envelop and I would insure it as well. Where I live the mail comes shredded sometimes. and sometimes my letters are open and there is nothing in the damn envelope. If you are really worried I would put it in a hard box. so that way if the mail drops it or steps on it or whatever those idiots do with our mail it will be safe and secure.

Use plastic - (a grade that's used for expensive baseball cards) or buy a box of clementines, eat them, and they you are left over with the wooden box - excellent for non bendy things.

And... you brightened my morning by using the word: 'obligated'. They do what every they want and if they damage it, without insurance, you have no recourse.

Send something to yourself to test it or use two sheets of cardboard and cross the grain so it won't bend. I shipped lots of 33 1/3 records that way.

They are obligated to handle it with care but do they? I don't think so.

They are bombarded with mail on a constant basis and it's hard to use care on a package or letter that requests it.

Put it into an un-bendable envelope. Like a card board box.