Kitchen Cabinets Remodeling Question?

Hi.

I have black granite tops but I don't like the color of my cabinets. I want a wood color type of cabinet but I want to keep the granite. Is this possible, can I change my cabinets without changing my granite, or will I have to buy all new granite.

Favorite Answer

you can have the cabinets restained or refaced to the color of your preference without changing the granite

As a part time cabinetmaker I can tell you what a lot of people do to keep within a budget.

Don't change your cabinet, just change the doors to match the counter top. Once the doors are removed, many people paint both the outside and inside of the cabinet case, a neutral color or in some instances, match the kitchen etc. But, we have found that a good quality door, matching the counter top, will make the entire project look better than one might expect because the first thing everyone sees is the cabinet door. The money you would waste on all new cabinets can be put into beautiful doors without having to scrimp.

• K.B.

We will be putting in new counters, cause our old ones are ugly old tile with uglier old grout. The house is over 40 years old, we bought about 10 years ago. This past 6 months we stripped the paint off of our old cabinets and found nice oak underneath. We decided to get new cabinet doors from Lowe's (from "Quality Doors" in Texas) and we picked a red oak, unfinished. We made the woods match pretty well. And we added crown moulding at the top so now you really don't see that much of the old cabinets.

I think LOTS of wood finishes look nice with black granite. I would go with medium to dark tones, like cherry. Personally, I think white or very light cabinets look too stark with black counters.

Buying all new granite would be a very big expense.

Find out what type of wood your cabinets are.

You can strip them and re stain them or prime them and paint them.

Source(s): Professional Faux Painter

I think the easiest way to actually know is to call and ask the people who would do it. You can call different companies, I am sure you'll get different answers. This is where I got my cabinets