Who wrote the stimulus bill ?

Please, let the liberals answer this one.

Lets see, if they know the score.

Update:

The stimulus bill, that the whole world is talking about.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm aware that Chairman of the Appropriations Committee, David Obey from Wisconsin had allot to do with putting this stimulus bill together.

I don't know if there is one single author of the bill per say though.

I will say, I had no idea that there is $600 million in this for new cars for Govt workers. The "perks" that taxpayers pay for has always bothered me, but new cars??? How is that stimulating the economy for the welfare of the whole?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123310466514522309...

http://www.ntu.org/main/press.php?PressID=343

To clarify, I do understand the concept behind the whole stimulus and don't disagree necessarily. I do disagree with the added 'extras' (such as new cars) that could be going elsewhere for a greater benefit.

An older middle of the road Independent

• 1 decade ago

Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

• 1 decade ago

David R. Obey

• *waits for the liberals to answer this one.*

They haven't even read the darn thing, so I doubt they know who authored it.

<<~~likes Joe's answer :->

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Democrats did not one Gop!

• 1 decade ago

From the actual bill itself, H.R. 1:

"Mr Obey (for himself, Mr. Rangel, Mr. Waxman, Mr.George Miller of California, Mr. Oberstar, Mr. Gordon of Tennessee, Mr.Frank of Massachusetts, Ms. Velazquez, and Mr. Towns) introduced the following bill..."

Note:

Sponsor

* Rep. David Obey [D, WI-7]

* and 9 Co-Sponsors

o Rep. Barney Frank [D, MA-4]

o Rep. Barton Gordon [D, TN-6]

o Rep. George Miller [D, CA-7]

o Rep. James Oberstar [D, MN-8]

o Rep. Charles Rangel [D, NY-15]

o Rep. John Spratt [D, SC-5]

o Rep. Edolphus Towns [D, NY-10]

o Rep. Nydia Velázquez [D, NY-12]

o Rep. Henry Waxman [D, CA-30]

close

Committees

* House Appropriations

* 1 more

o House Budget

close

Amendments

This bill has 12 amendments. See All AmendmentsHide All Amendments

Amendments to H.R.1

Number Status Purpose

H.Amdt12 Pass An amendment numbered 1 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to amend the aviation, highway, rail, and transit priority consideration and "use-it-or-lose-it" provisions to require that 50 percent of the funds be obligated within 90 days.

H.Amdt13 Pass An amendment numbered 2 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to require that the Secretary require, as a condition of receiving funding under Title XIII of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, that the demonstration projects utilize Internet-based or other open protocols and standards if available and appropriate.

H.Amdt14 Pass An amendment numbered 3 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to clarify that federal funds received by States under the bill for highway maintenance shall not be used to replace existing funds in place for transportation projects.

H.Amdt15 Pass An amendment numbered 4 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to increase transit capital funding by $3 billion.

H.Amdt16 Fail An amendment numbered 5 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to strike the appropriations provisions from the bill.

H.Amdt17 Pass An amendment numbered 6 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to provide that job training funds may be used for broadband deployment and related activities provided in the bill.

H.Amdt18 Fail An amendment numbered 7 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to strike funding for Amtrak.

H.Amdt19 Pass An amendment numbered 8 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to expand the Berry Amendment Extension Act to include DHS to require the government to purchase uniforms for more more than one hundred thousand uniformed employees from U.S. textile and apparel manufacturers.

H.Amdt20 Pass An amendment numbered 9 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to insert the text of the Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act (H.R. 985 in the 110th Congress) regarding protections for federal employees who report waste, fraud, and abuse.

H.Amdt21 Pass An amendment numbered 10 printed in Part B in House Report 111-9 to require that the Recovery.gov website contain links and other information on how to access job information created at or by entities receiving funding under the bill; including links to local employment agencies, state, local, and other public agencies receiving recovery funds, and private firms contracted to perform work funded by the bill.

H.Amdt22 Fail An amendment in the nature of a substitute numbered 11 printed in Part B of House Report 111-9 to strike everything after enacting clause and adds income tax rate deductions for bottom two income tax brackets, alternative minimum tax relief, small business deduction, bonus depreciation, small business expensing, expanded carryback of net operating losses, improved home buyer credit, unemployment benefit tax exemption, health insurance premium deduction, repeal of 3 percent withholdings requirement for government contractors, extension of unemployment benefits, and a Sense of Congress against tax increases to offset outlays.

S.Amdt.98 Offered Amendment information not available.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

idiots

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.