Is it safe to vacuum my PC with a normal household Vacuum cleaner?

My desktop PC gets very dusty and I'm just wondering whether I can damage my pc when sucking all the dust away?

Update:

PS: I'm not talking about sweeping the nozzle right on the components, just sucking up dustballs, so the nozzle won't make contact with the parts. I do this all the time on my own pcs but my friend's pc won't boot, it is just old or did the vacuum damage it?

Update 2:

Obviously, the PC is off and I check if anything is loose before I vacuum, I'm just wondering whether air can damage components?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well I have used the vacuum cleaner on my computers for the last 14 years and have never had any problems with it!

And that includes sucking the crap out of the heat sinks as well.

Source(s): Experienced1
  • 1 decade ago

1. They have special vacuum cleaners for pc, most home vacuum cleaners could cause so much eletronic static charge you might not have a computer when you are finished.

2. You can purchase compressed at a costco or bestbuy. Take the sides off, take the machine outside and blow it off. This is how I would do it. First clean out the power supply by blowing air into it. Then clean around the fins of the CPU and the CPU fans. Then generally cleaning around the inside of the PC until it is clean. I clean my PC, once a month with compressed air.

3. Air compressors which are factory type have either water or oil in it. Not a good idea for cleaning out a PC. There are special Air Compressors for PC cleaning.

Your compress air can will get cold real fast, so it will take a while to completely clean out the machine. Let the machine dry after cleaning. Bring it inside and let it sit for a few minutes.

You should be off and running....

• 1 decade ago

If your friend's PC booted up before you put the vacuum to it, then it's possible you did do some damage. What kind of error are you seeing? Do any lights come on? Make sure the cable is plugged in tight as you may have loosened it when you were working on it. It could also be that the suction power from the vacuum loosened one of the cables from the mother board. So make sure they are all pushed in tight.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you're just vacuuming the case then that's fine but if you're vacuuming the components then no, use a cloth and be extremely gentle. Hold onto the case (or another METAL object in contact with the ground) while you do it to remove any static from your body because static electricity can destroy computer components.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

it's not safe at all. lots of potential damage if you do that.

go to an office supply store or somewhere along those lines and you can get a can of air essentially that is meant to blow out the dust from your keyboard/other parts.

• 1 decade ago

NO! you should use an air spray can that is meant to blow out the dust from the computer. then you could use the vacuum to suck up the dust.

The reason is that the vacuum can suck up the cables and other stuff in the computer.

Source(s): I'm Smart :)
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, the air movement across the hose creates massive amounts of static electricity, its a bad idea. If you have an air compressor thats a better idea, or just get a can of compressed air at walmart or bestbuy.

• novack
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

specific, interior the summertime, after a rainstorm. Static basically zaps whilst the air is in basic terms too dry. shop one hand on the pc and one on the steel of the vacuum purifier safeguard, in basic terms in case.

• 1 decade ago

For really badly packed dust in older systems that have NEVER been cleaned, I have used a leaf blower....removed dustballs the size of my fist...otherwise known as Dust Elephants.

A vac is OK, just use care

Source(s): 21 years in IT
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

a vacuum is fine - use it with care - but dont use the shampoo attatchment tho !

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.