ashanabu asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Experience with electric dog fences?

Will those underground electric dog fences work in the wintertime as well, under the snow? Several feet of snow? My dog is very big, any experience with how to keep her in?

Favorite Answer

Electric dog fences don't always work, especially with larger breed dogs. And they aren't always dependable for smaller dogs, especially if you lose electrical power. If the fence isn't used properly, the dog may get injured. Instead, you should consider spending your money on behavior training. You will have a happier more responsive, and well behaved dog as a result.

My neighbor installed an electric fence for his dog. When the dog (Alaskan Husky) wanted to go out of the yard badly enough - like to chase after a squirrel - he'd take the electrical jolt and get out anyway. He was always getting out of the yard. He eventually got the dog trained and he quit taking off.

Behavior training is the best way to keep a dog from running off. With the right training, daily exercise and supervision, your dog will quit leaving home. Check with your local vet or animal shelter about reliable trainers in your area.

• Alana

No experience with an electric fence but I have a border collie mix and an invisible fence. My girl is also very smart, too smart for her own good usually. After the initial training she got one shock and has never tested the fence again. We've had the fence for almost seven years now. Personal opinion, an electric fence is going to look kind of cruddy. Will your neighbors mind? Plus, the invisible fence gives a warning signal before shocking the dog wearing the collar, whereas the electric fence instantly zaps anything that touches it. I also think your girl would outsmart/figure out how to not touch the wires quicker than you might think. OK, so I sound like an invisible fence commercial. I just really love ours!

Electrical wireless invisible dog fences fail about 30% of the time. A dog's prey instinct is stronger than the shock that a dog will receive. Your best bet is to look into a dog-specific fence that has been designed to contain your pet safely, affordably, and effectively. Check out Pet Playgrounds. They offer DIY non-electric dog fences kits and professional installation services nationwide. For more information visit http://www.petplaygrounds.com

All dogs play rough. However if his play is borderline aggressive or if he is actually HURTING the other dogs due to his exuberance, then i would stop bringing him to the park immediately. Learn here https://tr.im/BNwiW

It's your job as his owner to keep him under control, and if you can't so that then you shouldn't be bringing him someplace where he could get into trouble.

How often does he get walked? As a high energy breed he should be walked twice a day for as long as he can stand it. Jogging is even better. You can't count on the park to be your only way of exercising him because he obviously is not ready for it (based on the behavior you describe.)

So start walking him every morning and evening. Enroll in an obedience class with a qualified instructor (i would find a private training facility as opposed to one at Petsmart - as good as some of those trainers can be, they're mainly for easy-to-train dogs and don't specialize in herding breeds OR dogs that may have aggression issues) and he/she will show you how to teach your dog how to come.

mu cousinshave 2 large goldens in chicago and they both are on electric fence. it works great. very simple, and looks great. they never get out. its just the beginner training for the dogs. they just got the 2nd dog. bout a year old and when training she jumped through 2 times. but she learnedquickly.

They work, alright, but you have to be careful with those things. Suggest you turn to a dog expert for professional advice on concerns like that. (Those who want to shop for dog training systems online can get dog fence at Dogmaster.com.au.) Check also the dog training tips here: http://petkingdomunlimited.blogspot.com/2014/04/to...

I'm sure it works cause my sister's friend used to have 2 horses and when they were out there grazing and running they had electric fences on to keep them from running away! :P :D

I have one and I am not impressed with it. I have 5 big dogs and 3 get out regularly and the others KNOW the instant it goes down from a power outage ect and then they get right out.

ABERT G IS AN IDIOT KEEPING YOUR DOG FROM GETTING HIT BY A CAR IS ALOT BETTER THAN A FEW MILD SHOCKS.I GOT A SHOCK COLLAR FOR TRAINING AND PUT IT ON MY NECK TO TEST IT.THEY ALSO USE TONES AND THE SHOCK LEVEL CAN BE ADJUSTED.I HAVE SEEN THEM WORK EFECTIVLY BUT ON LONG HAIR DOGS THE COLLAR NEEDS TO BE VERY TIGHT,OR HAVE A SHAVED SPOT FOR THE COLLAR TO WORK.

I have neighbors that have them and their goldens get out all the time..The fact I don;t like them is it does'nt keep other animals out such as coyotes like we have here