What do I have to do to purchase a handgun in the state of Maryland?

I have found the handgun licensing application, but is that all I need to buy/have/transport a handgun? I'm not looking to carry a concealed weapon. I just want to be able to take a gun to the gun range and when I am done with it but it back in my gun safe at home? What do I need to do in order to do everything legally?

• Moore
    Favorite Answer

All licensed firearm dealers have all the paperwork you need, and they are more than happy to explain everything that is needed.

A background check and waiting period is required to purchase a handgun. This is typical of most states.

Maryland has concealed carry permits, but they are known throughout the United States as one of the hardest places to obtain one, as the State Police can turn you down without cause, and usually do.

However, if all you want to do is keep it at home and take it to the range, that's fine. While it is illegal to wear the gun on your person (concealed or not) it i perfectly legal to carry it inside a pistol case, especially if it's locked. It must be enclosed in this manner, (and unloaded) when transporting in a car. This is good gun safety anyway.

Fill out the application and go to a gun store. Ask for information on what you must do and the fees that must be paid.

Don't buy a gun - do you really really need one?