NY2981
NY2981 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How often should you wash your dog??

I was just wondering, how often should you wash your dog? Please give a thorough answer. Also, can you please tell why it is bad to wash your dog too often?

Links are fine.

Thanks in advance!

A Chocolate Lab!

Best Answer

Never more than once a month unless instructed by vet with a medicated shampoo. Overbathing will dry your dog's skin & coat, make it matt quicker, ruin coat texture & make your dog become dirtier & oily faster. You remove the dog's natural balance of skin oils & ph with baths. It will make your dog more prone to allergens & staining. Ppl need to more brushing & far less bathing for a cleaner & healthier dog & coat.

Most show dogs don't get bathe but a few times a year. I groom/handled OES & malmutes & they don't get baths often. It ruins the texture of the coat which should be coarse. If dirty, you spot clean or use powder or chalk. The other ppl I know from show with poodles, cavys, cresteds all do the same thing.

Source(s): 30yr of grooming
  • ?

How Often To Wash Dog

About once a month.

As far as why it's bad to wash the dog too often, you'll dry the skin out quite badly. The oil glands in the skin won't be allowed to do their job.

Once a week is way too often, and even show dogs don't get bathed that often.

The reason why dogs that are bathed once a week start stinking after a week is because the oil glands are forced to go into overtime, trying to produce oil for the skin that's been washed away by constant bathing.

People who bathe about once a month will realize their dogs really don't stink. Also, if the dog does stink quite a bit, there is probably something else wrong, like a food allergy, or something medically wrong. In such cases the dog's diet and such needs to be discussed with a vet.

We usually wash our dogs every 1 to 2 months, they are inside dogs though. My dad has four dogs and they live outside on a farm they only get two baths a year! I think thats not enough, but how often you should wash your dog depends on a lot of things; such as how active they are, if they get into mud or garbage, if they start to smell, or if they have fleas. Also do always use dog shampoo its made for their skin.

Hi,

Dogs don't need a daily scrub but a regular bathe maybe. One of the general guidelines in washing a dog is about once a month dog should take a bath.

Here's more info:

http://tinyurl.com/58ubwk

• My diog gets washed once a month. Shes big and fluffy and like to rub her face in a lot of things. But really it depends on your breed of dog and what activities your dog does.

If a dog is bathed too often the skin will be stripped of its natural, protective oils. This will result in dry itchy skin, which will cause your dog to scratch, further irritating the already sensitive skin. If you need to bathe your dog more frequently make sure to use a pet shampoo that will also moisturize your dog's skin. You may also want to follow up with an after bath pet coat conditioner specifically formulated for dry skin.

"Once a week is way too often, and even show dogs don't get bathed that often."

You better believe that show dogs get bathed every week! Especially if they are specialing as there are shows nearly every weekend! If there is time, a lot of the dogs are re-bathed and groomed before the group and/or best in show rings.

If you use a soapless shampoo, then you can wash about every two weeks. I like buddy wash ordered from kvvet.com. It dilutes a ton, so it lasts forever.

If you are just going to buy a soap from petsmart, walmart, etc, then you might as well just use mild dawn dishsoap, and only bathe once a month.

Also, the quality of food you feed your dog will contribute more to the health of the skin and coat than bathing too often. Feed a high quality food: http://www.naturapet.com/ These are some of my favorites. Don't free-feed your lab, labs are prone to eating too much and getting overweight!

It's bad to wash your dog to often because some dogs with sensetive skin get skin infections because the wetness makes their skin vulnerable to bacteria.. A lab is fine to wash often though! Mainly terriers can't be washed often. Wash your dog whenever it gets stinkey. And make sure you don't let him or her get dirty right after.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How often should you wash your dog??

I was just wondering, how often should you wash your dog? Please give a thorough answer. Also, can you please tell why it is bad to wash your dog too ofte

I wash my dog once a month or a little longer. She is a Pug.