Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

i Dont Understand How To Balance Chemical Equations?

i need to balance these two equations. but i dont know/understand how.

[X] < indicates subscript

H[2]O[2] → H[2]O + O[2]

O[2] → O[3]

could someone help me and tell me how to/the process.

thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

let's function without the brackets for a while, it's annoying:

firstly, determine how many atoms of each element u have on the reactant side and on the products side:

H2O2 --> H2O + O2

reactant side:

2 hydrogens,

2 oxygens

products side:

2 hydrogens

3 oxygens

so all u have to do now is to do some guessing and checking by placing a number IN FRONT of either a reactant or product in an attempt to balance the equation. here's the answer.

2H2O2 --> 2H2O + O2

(count again to check if it is balanced)

reactant side:

4 hydrogens

4 oxygens

product side:

4 hydrogens

4 oxygens

and as u can see, it is now balanced.

next question:

O2 --> O3

as u can see automatically, there are 2 oxygens on the reactant side and 3 on the products side. this can be easily mended by placing a 3 infront of O2 and a 2 in front of O3:

3O2 --> 2O3

and again we count to check to see if it's balanced:

reactant side:

6 oxygens

product side:

6 oxygens

it is now balanced:

all equations must be balanced in order to be valid under the law of conservation of matter. where the mass can neither be created nor destroyed which justifies why the number of reactants must always equal the number of products.

hope it helps ! =]

• Kes
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Imagine that the arrow is a fulcrum on a teater-totter (it shows the direction of the reaction). To be 'balanced' there must be the exact number of atoms of any given element on both sides of the equation.

Example: H2O --> 2H + O

H2SO4 --> 2H + S + 4O

However, you are usually balancing molecules on each side and must increase the number of molecules on one or both sides until the number of atoms balance.

• benoff
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

think of approximately it as a math issue... the full variety of atoms on the two edge should be equivalent... subscripts are the small numbers after the element image and coefficients are the enormous numbers earlier... you could basically exchange coefficients to take them equivalent... Say your equation replaced into 4H +2O -> H2O (that 2 would desire to be a subscript) you have 4 Hydrogen on the left of the arrow and 2 on the acceptable suited. To make it equivalent you would be able to desire to multiply by way of 2. So, upload a 2 coefficient in front of the molecule on the acceptable suited. you have 2 Oxygen on the left and now because you further a coefficient of two on the acceptable suited it additionally distributes to the oxygen so which you have 2 on the acceptable suited; hence, because each and every of the numbers of atoms on the two edge are equivalent its balanced. i'm a technology instructor, and this 365 days I taught my eighth graders a thank you to do this by way of using a loose computing gadget app noted as chembalancer... i don't have the direct link right here,yet identity propose google looking it; its outstanding.. it is going to draw out each and every of the atoms for you so as which you would be able to upload coefficients and count variety the atoms till they adventure... its large prepare and is large for seen getting to grasp of it..

• 1 decade ago

normally u start by balancing the number of carbons on both sides followed by nitrogen,hydrogen n the other elements.

the number of oxygents should be be the last element to be balanced.

ans: H2O2 ----> H2O + 1/2 O2

3O2 ---> 2O3

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.