what is concrete release?

a spray of some sort or oil that releases concrete from plastic

Favorite Answer

Concrete release, AKA form release or mold release, is an oil based agent that prevents water based concrete or cement from bonding to a surface. It is generally sprayed on rather than rolled or brushed. Yes, cooking oil spray works on small projects. For something along the lines of stepping stones I'd get a product that is meant for the purpose.

In construction we use release to prevent concrete from bonding to form boards or from bonding to other concrete when casting wall panels on top of existing concrete slabs.

I rarely buy manufactured form release agents unless it's for steel forms or the location demands a non-oil based product. For plywood form-oil I've always gone to a mechanic and asked for his used oil from auto oil changes and mixed that with 50% diesel fuel...absorbs into the wood, protects and works great! As for a release agent for plastic, the nature of most plastics is that they are not porous at all and nothing would be needed.

I believe one brand is called "hammer head release". It works well. The box I bought had six viles.

What you do is:

Drill the holes where needed about six inches deep (the size of the vile). Place the vile inside the hole. In my case I was using all-thread, so I took a heavy plastic block and beat my all-thread down into the hole. The glass vile of solution breaks and the solution hardens up around whatever you are placing in the hole.

This is really cools stuff and works well.

• B Anne

I have used Pam cooking spray for plastic stepping stone molds. Works great.

its used for stamping concrete you spray it on the concrete after you float it and then you can lay your stamps down and press them in and pull them back off without the concrete sticking to the stamp.