Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaToronto · 1 decade ago

Is Highway 401 Scary To Drive On?

Hello, I am going to Toronto in July to see my friend, and I have already arranged to get a Rental Car; and he lives close to Queen Street from the air port. He told me that the Highway 401 is a scary highway to drive on and that I should know something about it before I go. Is the highway 401 as scary as some people (and my friend) say it is, and is there anything critical to know about it?

Favorite Answer

It's a busy road, but if you're a capable driver, and you have had experience driving on a highway in a big city, you're probably going to do fine.

If you're not used to a mutli-lane highway in a big city with lots of traffic then yes the 401 will likely be scary for you. The 401 is particularly crazy in the Toronto area with lots of idiot drivers speeding, tailgating and cutting you off. Of course at many times of day traffic is so heavy it's hardly moving and at those times it's not scary just frustrating. These comments also apply to the other main roads you will be driving on in the Toronto area.

Just drive very cautiously and defensively and you should be fine. Another thing you should know in case you have a need for speed - if you drive more than 50 kph over the speed limit your car will be impounded if you are caught.

Good luck and enjoy Toronto!

The 401 is 12 lanes wide in some areas. Traffic goes 100-120 KM/hour ( 62-75 miles/hour) but the speed limit is 100. If you are not used to freeway driving then stay off the 401. Take Airport Road and other streets to Queen Street. Use Mapquest.

Source(s): I "sold" my car to my insurance company due to an accident on the 401 years ago. I drive on the 401 all the time.

It will only be scary if you have bad directions. make sure ahead of time you know which exit to take. The last thing you want to do is miss it. thats when the stress would kick in.

The hwy is busy, but there are many lanes and plenty of sinage. You will be fine, especially in July; snows long gone. Get yourself a map of Toronto, just in case you do get lost. It will also prove usefull overall. I'm assuming you will be doing some driving around since your renting a car. Be sure to break in your map with a trip to Niagara Falls while your in Ontario.

• Sharon

I drive part of your route every day. If you leave by 6:30 AM you should be fine. Coming back is very bad in rush hour. Especially from Keele to Brampton. I suggest you stay on campus, do your work assignments, eat dinner then go home ( after rush hour). The snow is rarely an issue. Also when it does snow, it will effect all routes.

• Judy C

I find the 401 one of the easiest to drive on - it's relatively straight and there are signs everywhere - the Don Valley Parkway is a lot harder to drive on.

You don't need to drive on the 401 to get to Queen Street. I hope your friend gives you good directions.

Not really. No worse than any other major city. I've travelled on several highways across Canada and in the US and it compares to most.. it's a lot less worse than places like New York or Los Angeles.

It can be scary...it is a busy road and there are a lot of aggressive drivers...