Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

How long can I stay in Germany, if I'm a resident alien of the United States? I'm a German citizen.?

I'm planning on going for a summer.

• Vee
    Favorite Answer

Technically, it is less than 365 days - unless you apply for a Re-Entry Permit, which allows you to be out of country for up to 2 years.

However, after 9/11 the law changed and it now states that any absences of as little as a day can be deemed as having abandoned your residence.

If you haven't just gotten your Green Card, then being outside for a few weeks (I'd say less than 6 and it is just my personal estimate of what I'd be comfortable with) you'd be fine.

In case you're worried, bring proof that you haven't abandoned your statues when you try to reenter (such as your DL, bank statements, rental agreements, etc).

Without losing your status here? Only as long as visitation would be. I think it is 60 days but you would have to call to make sure.

Guten tag!

• Thomas

as long as you like!