is home-made cured/salted raw salmon safe to eat?

I salted it and put it in plastic wrap in the freezer for about 12 hours. then i thawed it to make sushi. i had about 5-6 small pieces, now i'm hesitant to eat more of it because i don't want to develop any tapeworms.

Does anyone know how safe this is?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Freezing is actually the method sushi restaurants use to ensure their salmon is parasite- and salmonella- free, so you're on the right track!

You don't actually need to salt-cure the salmon for sushi (especially if you freeze it) but since you did, that also would have killed any undesirable germs or parasites in the fish, so long as you sliced it before curing it rather than leaving it in the form of a whole fillet. So long as the salmon was 1/2-inch thick or less in at least one direction, the salting probably did the trick.

In the future you're better off either freezing salmon for sushi for 24-48 hours before defrosting (in the fridge!) and eating, OR salt-curing it. Salt-curing also draws moisture out of the fish, changing its texture, and in the future I wouldn't leave it in the salt for more than a few hours, 8 max, so it doesn't get too dry or tough.

An equally important concern when you want to serve salmon sushi at home is the source of the salmon. Farm-raised salmon, unless it's organically raised, is prone to disease due to overcrowding, and also just doesn't taste as good because of the poor quality of the diet farmed fish are typically fed. So when selecting salmon at the store to be served sushi style (whether maki/temaki, nigirizushi or sashimi) remember that "sushi grade" is best, but either organically-raised or wild-caught will be fine so long as you freeze or salt-cure it before serving.

If you're still worried but want to get the benefits of raw salmon -- which is loaded with essential fatty acids that would be destroyed by heat -- consider making ceviche. This involves marinating any fresh fish or shellfish (but never any meat other than fish, including poultry; the chemical-cooking process only works with fish!) in lemon and/or lime juice until it changes color. Some shellfish, like scallops and shrimp, change from translucent to solid/opaque white when fully "cooked" by the action of the acid in the citrus juice. Salmon, which should be cut in bite-sized pieces to give the marinade more surface area to work on, changes from deep red-orange to a pinker shade like heat-cooked salmon. Once this color change has affected all the pieces of fish, you can season it any way you like to cut or complement the sourness of the citrus juice, and serve it like a salad with pieces of vegetables and/or fruits.

I'm totally jealous of your delicious fresh-cured salmon, by the way... now I'm hungry for sushi!

Source(s): http://www.cevicherecipe.org/ is one of many sites offering a range of different ceviche recipes.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Home Cured Salmon

• C.M. C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

My wife makes it all the time. The salmon will not cure in the freezer my friend. She uses a sea salt brine for a couple of hours, then removes it, pats dry adds some other wonderful seasonings, then wraps it in the cling wrap and just puts it in the fridge, allowing the process to complete fully. Freezing it wouldn't even start the curing process.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Salmon must be quick frozen and they must be kept at a VERY low temperature for 10 days before all possible parasite and parasite eggs (the main concern) could be killed. A lot of store bought salmon were frozen but there's no guarantee that they were kept at temperatures low enough and long enough to effectively kill all parasite eggs. Freezers at home, including those that got quick freeze feature, can not achieve the temperature low enough to effectively kill parasites and their unhatched eggs. You must keep them frozen for at least 30 days before you could eat them raw and you must deal with possible freeze burns and freezer smells. This is why sushi grade fish usually cost more.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Curing with salt is like using a preservative. Its the only way they used to have before refrigeration. It is perfectly safe to eat!

• 1 decade ago

There is another way as well. Put some lemon juice on it. The acid in the lemon juice will cure the meat, making it safe to eat. I learned this by watching a show with Les Stroud. He had an episode on what to do in a hurricane situation.

Source(s): Les Stroud Survivor man
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Have you tried Eating for Energy (120 raw food diet recipes) system? Go here : http://stayeatingraw.com/Access . This is able to extremely support anybody!

• 1 decade ago

It is safe if you took the proper precautions when preparing it, and you bought it from a reputable fish store. If not, I would not eat any more.

Cheers

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Only with pineapple! You juice a pineapple over it and the ph of the acid in the pineapple is just right to clean out the bad stuff.

P.S. This tact may not work.

• 1 decade ago

Very safe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.