Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 1 decade ago

How can I study at a German university?

I'm currently in high school and I definitely want to go to college in Germany. Does anyone have any information for international students who want to study in the German education system? I'm not too familiar with it myself.. I know that students who are college bound have to take the Abitur, but I'm not sure if that still applies to international students. Are there any prestigious German universities that teach in English? As in an international university?

2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes, you will need the "Abitur" to study at a German university. A high school degree does not equal "Abitur", and you will need to check with each and every school you want to apply to for the specific requirements they would ask of you. Generally you will need to have taken some college classes. Note that if you have the German "Abitur", many colleges/universities in the US would directly put you in third year in college.

    The whole "prestigious" thing with Universities is not like it is in the US. There are a couple of very renown schools, mostly the oldest in Germany, like Heidelberg, München, Marburg, Berlin, but each of those schools is really just known for one thing to be very good, like Heidelberg is for Medicine, for instance.

    If you want to study in Germany, you should really study in German, and not at an international school, which have kind of a not-so-good reputation, since "they let everyone on there", as one of my teachers puts it. Mostly international schools in Germany are privately run, which only adds to the negative impression with most people.

    There are "international" classes/courses at many Universities, but... most of them are Masters-classes and those which aren't mostly don't go through with the English language all the way to the end.

    International students wanting to study in Germany first have to have an equal level of education to the German applicants. Than you will be required to have a certain score in a "German as a foreign language" test, and if you don't, you will have to attend language classes for either six months or a year, after which you can repeat the test. You will not be able to study what you wanted to study during that time.

    Money-wise I don't know what you would have to look at, but I do know that international students do have to pay more money than German students. Even in the countries where there is currently no tuition fee, international students have to pay. On a students visa, you will not be able to work/ earn more than a specific (very little) amount of money throughout the year. You will have to provide info on your funds to the "Ausländerbehörde", who will decide on your visa and so on.

    The way it sounds in your question, you are at the very beginning of planning this, so I would advise you to check the webpage of the German embassy for information and go on from there.

    Good Luck.

    Source(s): German native
  • 5 years ago

    If you want to complete your studies at a Germean university you definitely need the DSH. There is no way around it. If your German is not good enough yet I would advice you to come to Germany as an Erasmus student first. Then you can study at a German university for a year or so and take German courses to improve your German in order to pass the DSH. You also have the chance to find out whether you really like it and want to stay for the time of your studies. The equivalent to the Abitur might be a problem. In Germany Abitur means that you have taken courses and passed exams in a variety of main subjects. This means, if you did your A-Levels in Math, English,Science, and German your chances are good that this will be accepted. A-Levels in cooking and similar subjects wont do. The grades you need depend on what you want to study. Your marks will be "translated" to the German system. For some subjects, like medicine, you need A-Levels in almost all school subjects, for other courses you don't. @ Melodram: We do have middle names. The problem ist, that we expect the complete name on an ID-card - that includes the middle name. So if one document states one person is called Jane Smith and another says Jane Susan Smith this does not nessecarily refer to the same person. Unlike in Britain we frequently use ID-cards and don't depend on three diffreet documents to prove one identity. Still I had my problems when I lived in Britain and suddenly everyone wanted to see a gas bill I didn't have so I understand that the German system seems strange if you are not used to it. But it is really a good idea to check all the documents before applying. Good luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.